GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   MH for planted tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/51235-mh-planted-tank.html)

C-FYMP 29-01-2004 02:42 PM

MH for planted tank?

It seems that the prevailing experience favours 6700k lighting for planted
tanks. How about MH lighting? Does it work?
Thanks

Dunter Powries 29-01-2004 04:42 PM

MH for planted tank?

C-FYMP wrote in message
It seems that the prevailing experience favours 6700k lighting for planted
tanks. How about MH lighting? Does it work?
Thanks

6700k or UNDER... closer to 5300k is probably even better, but most people
(myself included) prefer the look of the higher temp. I try to mix my
bulbs, a pair of 5500k's in the back and a pair of 6700k's in the front.
But bulbs under 6700k are often hard to find.

Metal halide is only preferable for really deep tanks but is more expense to
purchase and uses more electricity to run. I can't remember off-hand how
long the bulbs last compared to cf .