Old 31-01-2004, 07:02 AM
BobWu

Default All Glass triple light strip?

I bought two All Glass triple light strips for my 75 gallon tanks.
They each come with 3 All Glass T8 lights preinstalled. When I hooked
them up and turned on the lights, I noticed that all 6 light bulbs are
very bright at each end, but very dim in the middle. Is this something
normal with T8 48" light? Or maybe I should go back to the store and
ask for exchange? These are brand new lights. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 31-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Homie

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but a question or two. I was thinking
of getting a set of lights for my 55 gallon

The bulbs that come with the triple-tube setup are 32watt, correct? I
was hoping to get 40watt bulbs for it but I think that 40watt bulbs
are T12 (1.5 inches) and will not fit.

Did you purchase at the LFS? How much ?

Thanks

Old 31-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Bob Alston

I bought a CF All-Glass strip light to use in conjunction with my original
T-12 florescent strip. Combined, I get about 3 watts per gallon.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Homie" wrote in message
om...
Sorry, I don't have an answer, but a question or two. I was thinking
of getting a set of lights for my 55 gallon

The bulbs that come with the triple-tube setup are 32watt, correct? I
was hoping to get 40watt bulbs for it but I think that 40watt bulbs
are T12 (1.5 inches) and will not fit.

Did you purchase at the LFS? How much ?

Thanks

(BobWu) wrote in message

. com...
I bought two All Glass triple light strips for my 75 gallon tanks.
They each come with 3 All Glass T8 lights preinstalled. When I hooked
them up and turned on the lights, I noticed that all 6 light bulbs are
very bright at each end, but very dim in the middle. Is this something
normal with T8 48" light? Or maybe I should go back to the store and
ask for exchange? These are brand new lights. Suggestions? Thanks.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Giancarlo Podio

The light should become more consistant along the length of the tube
as the tube warms up. I wouldn't worry about the T12s, the wattage you
are referring to is what they consume, not the amount of light they
emit. T8s emit more light than T12s per watt consumed and in most
cases T8s are run by higher frequency electronic ballasts that further
increase the light output compared to magnetic ballasts used in many
T12 fixtures.

You should do well with the tripple T8, I've been using it on my
90gallon for some time now and it's doing great. I find it puts out
about the same amount of light as two 55W CF bulbs, only it gives you
a better spread and the possibility to mix different tubes together.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
www.gpodio.com

Old 03-02-2004, 01:14 AM

Giancarlo, Bob Wu

Thanks for the information. I had just about given up on the all-glass
triple tube because I discovered that they would be only 96 watt
(3x32) and not the 120watt(3x40) that I thought they were. I was ready
to go with a Compact Fluorescent (2x55) instead thinking 110watt was a
lot higher.

I am surprised that you say that the 32watt bulbs put out more light
than the 40watt bulbs; this is news to me. I am currently using a shop
light ($15), but it does have an electronic ballast. Just to calm my
inner skeptic could either of you explain why the lower watt bulbs
would produce more light?

LFS = Local Fish Store

Much thanks for the info !

Old 03-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Giancarlo Podio

One word: Efficiency

The newer types of flourescent tubes and ballasts are more efficient
than older types. Just like a 13W CF tube can emit a similar amount of
light than a 60W incandescent bulb can, a T8 tube is able to put out
more lumens (light) per watt consumed than T12 tubes can. T5 and CF
tubes are even more efficient than T8s. Let's remember that the
wattage is the amount of power consumed, not the amount of power
emitted. Infact even among the same type of bulbs, there are more
efficient ones using better gases etc... In reality the ballast has
probably more to do with the efficiency than the bulb itself, however
it's the combination of the two that make the difference. Just like
cars are getting more efficient and giving us more miles per gallon
than ever before, the same thing is happening with lighting.

You can see a retrofit I did here from a T12 fixture to a T8. I am
also overdriving the lights which is always an easy mod you could do
to the tripple T8 fixture one day.

http://www.gpodio.com/overdrive_twin_strip.htm

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 03-02-2004, 08:46 PM
Giancarlo Podio

(BobWu) wrote in message . com...
I bought two All Glass triple light strips for my 75 gallon tanks.
They each come with 3 All Glass T8 lights preinstalled. When I hooked
them up and turned on the lights, I noticed that all 6 light bulbs are
very bright at each end, but very dim in the middle. Is this something
normal with T8 48" light? Or maybe I should go back to the store and
ask for exchange? These are brand new lights. Suggestions? Thanks.

Spectracide "Triple Strike" Weed Killer Questions Robert11 Gardening 0 13-05-2006 02:54 PM
Triple half barrel setup Roy Ponds 4 05-07-2005 01:33 PM
All-Glass CF 110W Light Strip for 46 Bow Front Tank 10,000K? Markyt Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-12-2003 05:32 PM
Slightly O/T Advice on Horwell 84" triple mower Dave United Kingdom 5 30-05-2003 04:11 PM
Dimensions of 24" All-Glass compact florescent lighting strip Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:20 AM