Old 01-02-2004, 09:40 PM
A Stuartgranti

Default Interrupted Daytime Lighting Advice

Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Sandy

RedForeman ©® wrote:
may screw up the photosynthesis process... not sure...

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of
the day (while I'm at work basically). Are there any
advantages/disadvantages of this regarding plants or algae control?
I personally don't buy any arguement of stressing out the fish. My
room isn't pitch dark or anything (fair amounts of indirect sun) and
it's not like fish in the wild freak out everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

It shouldn't make any difference. My lights come on for an hour, then off
for an hour, then on for ten hours, and plants and fish are fine, this is
also the timing of the tank heaters as they are on the same timeswitch.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 02-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Harry Muscle

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak

out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

Somewhere in the 90's (I think, maybe earlier) it was thought that this
would help combat algae. The theory behind this is that algae needs some
time to start it's ynthesis process, while plants can start right
away. This way you're giving an advantage to the plants. However this is
only a theory, no one has proven it true or false. You can read up on this
subject on the krib.

Harry

Old 03-02-2004, 02:16 AM

For years I have had my lights come on for 6 hours, off for 6 hours,
on for 6 hours, off for 6 hours. I do this to reduce the heat on the
tank during the hottest part of the day.

Never had a problem with the plants or the fish, eveyone seems to do
just fine. At some point I posed the same question and the basic
response at the time was that no one could think of any reason it
would be detrimental.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:07:50 -0500, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

.. .

Old 03-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Djay

Had my timer so that lights would come on at 7 a.m. and off at 11 a.m. then
back on at 3 p.m. and off at 10 p.m. My goal was to have 11 hours of
lighting and have the tank viewable in the evenings while keeping the lights
off during the hottest part of the day. Plants grew just fine. Fish
thrived...

Good Luck.

DJay

Old 03-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Dick

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:22:40 GMT, "A Stuartgranti"
wrote:

Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

Like others I time control my lights, on 8 hours, off 3, on 4. The
times on and off reflect my hours of interest, not the fishes. I do
the control bit to reduce algae problems. The Anubias' leaves had
spotted appearance. Reducing the hours did the trick. No adverse
effects I can tell.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:05 PM

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message . ..
Hello,
I want to try a 2 hour lights off period during the middle of the day
(while I'm at work basically). Are there any advantages/disadvantages of
this regarding plants or algae control? I personally don't buy any
arguement of stressing out the fish. My room isn't pitch dark or anything
(fair amounts of indirect sun) and it's not like fish in the wild freak out
everytime it gets cloudy.

Thanks in advance!

You are not going to find this helps the algae issue.

There are generally other causes that lead to the algae disappearance
that get overlooked when people try and get rid of algae.
Eg more routine work on a neglected tank, pruning, more agressive
treatments, checking their CO2 etc and many time peopkle attribute the
light or the addition of PO4 remove etc to their algae cure.

It's very difficult to assume something causes/cures algae etc without
making sure it was not something esle and it can take time to check
the other issue out that may effect the result first.

This is one HUGE reason why there are so many myths and dogma
surrounding algae and aquatic plants.

Good agressive pruning, water changes, good nutrients/dosing, good
CO2, dense plant biomass work better at controlling algae.

Grow the plants well and give them what they need, and you do not have
algae issues.
So focus on the plants, not the algae.

If you want to use light to your advantage, 3 day blackouts work well
for a number of algae, up to 5-6 days for GW etc, also LESS light
often helps folks since uptake and doing daily dosing, 2-3x a week
dosings etc is not so critical.

regards,
Tom Barr