Old 04-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Nemo

Default Fluorite - How much rinsing ???!!!

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
I just a couple of days ago set up my 55g, and I didn't really rinse it, I
poured a bag into the bucket, poured water into that bucket and let it

over
run the bucket, stuck my hand in and stirred up a bit, poured out the

water,
put the flourite in the tank... did this 3 times, and had a brown water
mess.... filled the tank, turned on the filter, let it run for 3 days,
turned off filter, cleaned the media, put it back in turned on and now 5th
day, it's as clear as a bell...not cycled, but clear..

Following Chuck's advice, I used a fine sieve to wash small batches of
fluorite over a bucket using *COLD* water (warm-hot water seems to cause a
lot of fines to become suspended in the water). I didn't handle the material
aggressively so it ran reasonably clear. I did a final rinse in the bucket.
It was a little cloudy but not much. I then placed the gravel in the tank,
put a plate on top, and filled the tank using an empty milk jug letting the
water pour slowly over the plate. I got a little cloudiness, but I could see
every detail in the tank; It just looked like a little fog. When I got up in
the morning, it was ~50% settled.

Now I have to watch for a mini-cyle. You should see the black water/waste I
took out from the bottom of the tank when I removed the previous aquarium
gravel.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:42 PM
RedForeman ©®

"Nemo" wrote in message
[...]

You couldn't have done it much more perfectly... my problem is once I get it
in there and add decos, I stir it up again, rearrange, stir up, rearrange,
stir... it's a never ending cycle until I get it right....

--
RedForeman ©®

Old 08-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Robert Flory

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"Nemo" wrote:

I picked up two bags of fluorite for my 25G. The instructions on the bag

say
rinse before use to wash off the dust. Well I rinsed for over an hour in

22L bucket and the water is still brown.

In addition to what Chuck said, bottom line with Flourite is that it's
very dusty stuff, and almost impossible to rinse completely clean.
Give it a couple of solid rinsings, then tank it. It'll cloud your
water some at first, but that will all settle out within a day or two.

It just bees that way

--
www.ericschreiber.com

I'm swaping out sand for flourite in a 55, one bag a week starting on one
end. I clear out the sand in a section, cut the end of the bag, submerge it
to the bottom and carefully dump. Clean the filter add Accurel-F and the
tank is relatively clear in a couple of hours, clear by bed time. No
problems out side of having to clean the filters again that night. The next
day I vac the tank gently to pick up what settled rather than got caught in
the filter.

Half done, no problems.

Can't move the fish, the angels (a pair) would (have tried to) kill the
angels in the other tank.
Bob

Old 25-02-2004, 03:04 PM
alex crouvier

Nemo,
I didn;t even wash my Fluorite. I just dump the
whole damn thing in the tank, fill the tank 2/3 way
and let the filter run and some of the fine dust to settle.
I changed the water 2 times over 10 hour period and voila, it is
reasonably clear. There is still some cloudiness but I could see
the back of the tank now.
In a week, the tank is absolutely crystal clear,
like other tanks that use that dustless Dennerle gravel.

"Nemo" wrote in message
"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:16:31 -0500, "Nemo" wrote:

Nothing is dissolving. You are possibly creating more fine dust by
excessive rinsing.

Thanks Chuck. Do you "rub" the grains together when you rinse or just let
the water percolate for few minutes?

When you place the fluorite in the tank, do you get cloudy water?
For how long?
Are fish affected by it?
Should I expect a haze from the substrate everytime I plant a new

planting?

Thanks again

Old 25-02-2004, 04:07 PM
alex crouvier

"Nemo" wrote in message
"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:16:31 -0500, "Nemo" wrote:

Nothing is dissolving. You are possibly creating more fine dust by
excessive rinsing.

Thanks Chuck. Do you "rub" the grains together when you rinse or just let
the water percolate for few minutes?

When you place the fluorite in the tank, do you get cloudy water?
For how long?
Are fish affected by it?
Should I expect a haze from the substrate everytime I plant a new

planting?

Thanks again

FLUORITE w/o Liquid Fertz? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
fluorite? LM Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:21 AM
Rejuvinating old fluorite? Tasslehoff Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:16 AM
FLUORITE w/o Liquid Fertz? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 28-03-2003 07:56 PM
FLUORITE w/o Liquid Fertz? Martin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 28-03-2003 06:08 PM