GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   brown spots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/51692-brown-spots.html)

Dacaprice 04-02-2004 04:35 AM

brown spots

Can anyone take a look at these pics of some of my leaves. I am not
sure what these brown spots are and seem to get all different
solutions from postings of similar nature. Check out these pics at:

http://home.comcast.net/~dacaprice/

I would really appreciate any feed back. I am currently working on a
CO2 injection, but have not had luck with the yeast packets sold to me
with the kit (I think the yeast is dead). So for all intents and
purposes I have no CO2 injection yet. I have some pale leaves too...
from what I understand that is an iron deficiency?? correct?? Any
help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tank specs: 6700K 65 watt flourescent
light which should be more than efficient so I think light isn't a
problem. I also have a UGF with a powerhead, temp is steadily 78
degrees F, power filter with bio wheel. pH is a high at 7.6, 0
ppm of nitrite, 0 ppm of ammonia, and the general hardness is 10 dGH.
This tank has been established for about 6 months now, everything in
it however was moved from a tank that was running for about 3 years.

RedForeman ©® 04-02-2004 04:20 PM

brown spots

looks like low light brown algae, otherwise, it could be plain normal algae
in a non co2 tank...

you say 65w, but not what size tank... I assume a 29/30ish and under those
conditions, I'd say it's probably in need of Co2 easily... 2 days after I
disconnected my CO2 from my 29 with 65w PCF, I had brush algae... yippee....
now that tank is infested with it, and it doesn't react to lights being off,
so it's a manual tear down to rid it...

--
RedForeman ©®

om...

Dacaprice 04-02-2004 11:12 PM

brown spots

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message ...
looks like low light brown algae, otherwise, it could be plain normal algae
in a non co2 tank...

you say 65w, but not what size tank... I assume a 29/30ish and under those
conditions, I'd say it's probably in need of Co2 easily... 2 days after I
disconnected my CO2 from my 29 with 65w PCF, I had brush algae... yippee....
now that tank is infested with it, and it doesn't react to lights being off,
so it's a manual tear down to rid it...

--
RedForeman ©®

My tank is 20 gallons... sorry I just forgot to put that in there.

RedForeman ©® 05-02-2004 03:02 PM

brown spots

"Dacaprice" wrote in message
"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
looks like low light brown algae, otherwise, it could be plain normal

algae
in a non co2 tank...

you say 65w, but not what size tank... I assume a 29/30ish and under

those
conditions, I'd say it's probably in need of Co2 easily... 2 days after

disconnected my CO2 from my 29 with 65w PCF, I had brush algae...

yippee....
now that tank is infested with it, and it doesn't react to lights being

off,
so it's a manual tear down to rid it...

--
RedForeman ©®

My tank is 20 gallons... sorry I just forgot to put that in there.

Then you surely have enough lighting, maybe it's ferts or over feeding?
You'll find a balance somewhere between feeding and ferting, that you're
doing one too much, probably food....

Actually, I think it looks pretty nice... even with the brown spots...
rubbing them off, did it produce stuff that came off or was it just a brown
spot IN the leaf?

--
RedForeman ©®

Dacaprice 06-02-2004 12:43 AM

brown spots

Then you surely have enough lighting, maybe it's ferts or over feeding?
You'll find a balance somewhere between feeding and ferting, that you're
doing one too much, probably food....

Actually, I think it looks pretty nice... even with the brown spots...
rubbing them off, did it produce stuff that came off or was it just a brown
spot IN the leaf?

I tried rubbing off the brown spots, but they do not come off. I
finally got my CO2 yeast setup running. I'm not sure how many bubbles
it should be producing per second, or it producing enough; atleast
it's producing. :) I will just monitor the pH over the next couple
days to see if it makes a difference. I noticed though that i am
getting holes in some of my leaves. Is that related to the algae?

RedForeman ©® 06-02-2004 03:46 PM

brown spots

http://search.msn.com/pass/results.a...1&q=&q=plant+d
eficiencies&cp=1252

gives a whole page of nutrient deficiencies to look at.... and this one is
nice too...

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1106.pdf

--
RedForeman ©®

om...

RedForeman ©® 06-02-2004 04:16 PM

brown spots

and try this one... I was looking for it, but couldnt find it...

--
RedForeman ©®

om...

RedForeman ©® 06-02-2004 04:18 PM

brown spots

duh?!?!
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

--
RedForeman ©®

om...

Dacaprice 17-02-2004 04:32 AM

brown spots

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message ...
and try this one... I was looking for it, but couldnt find it...

--
RedForeman ©®

Thanks Red, those links helped a lot. I think my plants are suffering
from a Potassium deficiency. I ordered some Seachem Flourish
Potassium from the web. So I should have that in a few days.
Hopefully it will help.

Chris