Old 04-02-2004, 06:30 PM
NetMax

Default Balance between nutrients, light & CO2

"Peps" wrote in message
I have read lots that stresses the importance of balancing nutients,
light and C02 in a planted aquarium, but little that tells me in simple
terms how.

My latest 55g aquarium is about a month old, is heavily planted and I
inject DIY CO2 which measures about 20ppm. My substrate is just gravel,
into which I push fertiliser tablets, and I add a rotation of different
liquid fertilisers according to instructions (typically once a week).

My
lighting is 2 x 4ft and 1 x 18" flouros (I think that is about 100W).

The tank is well and truly cicled. Nitrates and phospates are very low.

The plants are growing really well - no complaints there, but I have
just begun to the first signs of green algae, and I think brush algae.
Yes - I have a variety of algae-eating fish including 5 SAEs and a
(still small) Bristlenose.

I don't think I should be getting the algae at all!, but I suspect that
given the rate of the plants growth, I am not fertilising enough. (That
is that there are fish-produced nutrients left over for the algae.

None of the fertiliser manufacturers state different doses depending on
the density and growth rate of the plants. This seems wrong.

So... what are the signs to look for that indicate under (or over)
fertilisation? How much should I experiment?

Am I on the right track here?

No manufacturer should indicate dosages as it's empirical. I suggest you
post in r.a.f.plants to draw on their greater depth of experience in
tweaking inputs to control algae.

My less-experienced suggestion would be to stop fertilizing. Everything
will stop growing (or significantly slow) when it has encountered a trace
mineral constraint, and hopefully the algae will be affected before the
plants. Having said that, I usually control brush algae with scissors
;~) cutting off affected leaves (or scrubbing Anubius leaves), but I'm no
expert.

NetMax

Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 PM
RedForeman ©®

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

"Peps" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, let the algae expert speak up.... hahaha....

i'm not really an expert, I just play one on the newsgroups... *(just
kidding about both)*

In my recent expericne, no CO2 meant I got algae, not enough ferts, I got
algae.... Somehow it has dawned on me, that maybe it's nitrAtes.... check
them... get a kit and see... Mine were/are/probably always will be off the
charts... and that s not really good..

Old 06-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Amit

I'd try to cut off some ferts for a week or two and even try to raise the
CO2 to 25-30PPM.
Many of those liquid ferts are great for plants but also - yes for algae...
What is the photo period ?
Than go back with the ferts....
How about Amano Shrimp ?

Amit Brucker
www.plantica.com

"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Dunter Powries

Caridina japonica aren't likely to help with brush algae, if that's the
problem. Neocaridina denticulata might be a better pick.

Whenever I've had black brush algae it's because I've overfertilized iron.
That's the first thing I'd check, anyway.

Here's a link to Arizona Aquatic's shrimp page...
http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

Amit wrote in message
I'd try to cut off some ferts for a week or two and even try to raise the
CO2 to 25-30PPM.
Many of those liquid ferts are great for plants but also - yes for

algae...
What is the photo period ?
Than go back with the ferts....
How about Amano Shrimp ?