Old 12-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Dave Smith

Default best bulb for 20 gal tank

I'm currently running a NutriGrow F15-T8 bulb on my 20 gallon tank. I
keep java ferns in the tank and they generally go downhill. They do it
slowly so it's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have them be
healthy and last longer. btw, I stick with java ferns only due to the
low wattage per gallon. So my question is, what is the best bulb for
this situation? Should I switch from NutriGrow to something else?

thanks,

Dave
Old 12-02-2004, 04:43 AM
bottom feeder

Dave Smith wrote:

I'm currently running a NutriGrow F15-T8 bulb on my 20 gallon tank. I
keep java ferns in the tank and they generally go downhill. They do it
slowly so it's not a huge problem, but it would be nice to have them be
healthy and last longer. btw, I stick with java ferns only due to the
low wattage per gallon. So my question is, what is the best bulb for
this situation? Should I switch from NutriGrow to something else?

thanks,

Dave

Go to www.hellolights.com and check out their CoraLife 65W complete
compact fluorescent hood. I put it on my 20 and the plants have
improved greatly.

If you're somewhat good working with wood, check out www.ahsupply.com
and their compact fluorescent kits.

--
dan

Old 13-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Dave

IME, although you may not have strong lights Java fern should trundle along
quite nicely even at very low light. How have you planted it? It should be
tied onto a chunk of driftwood or onto a rock. If you plant the Rhizome
below the gravel/substrate there's a good chance that it will rot! HTH
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 13-02-2004, 12:28 AM
CS

Dave,

Believe it or not, I have had great luck with Sylvania daylight and Philips
Alto Series Daylight Fluorescesnts (Available in lighting sotres and Home
Depot) I have 23 tanks that hold plants for my business and they seem to
work well---not to mention they cost about $6 each. For the 20, I suggest
eh Sylvania F15-T8 Daylight.

Lowcoaster

Old 15-02-2004, 04:02 AM
gauloiseguy

Believe it or not, I have had great luck with Sylvania daylight and
Philips
Alto Series Daylight Fluorescesnts (Available in lighting sotres and Home
Depot) I have 23 tanks that hold plants for my business and they seem to
work well---not to mention they cost about $6 each. For the 20, I suggest
eh Sylvania F15-T8 Daylight.

Sorry to intrude, I hardly ever post on this group...

But, same experience here with the sylvania daylight tubes. Cheap, nice
color rendering (not super, but nice) and the plants do fine under them,
Java Ferns included.

Old 16-02-2004, 03:32 AM

"gauloiseguy" wrote in message ...
Believe it or not, I have had great luck with Sylvania daylight and

Philips
Alto Series Daylight Fluorescesnts (Available in lighting sotres and Home
Depot) I have 23 tanks that hold plants for my business and they seem to
work well---not to mention they cost about $6 each. For the 20, I suggest
eh Sylvania F15-T8 Daylight.

Sorry to intrude, I hardly ever post on this group...

But, same experience here with the sylvania daylight tubes. Cheap, nice
color rendering (not super, but nice) and the plants do fine under them,
Java Ferns included.

I have used these in the past, they did well, my favorite is a Triton
light bulb, these look very good but cost a fair amount.

You can add some mylar reflective material or heavy aluminum foil etc
to increase the lighting, but many plants will do fine at this light
level if you add some CO2 or Excel would also work well and both are
cheap and easy to use.
Plants have a lower lighting compensation poibnt when they have enough
CO2/carbon, basically adding it make the plant more efficent at what
little light it does get.

Make sure the plants are not shaded by rocks, other plants etc.
Try the above CO2/Excel and I think you will do well. The plants
should grow certainly if you have fish and feed them daily etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr