Old 18-02-2004, 07:21 PM
nemo

Default Help identify this plant please

On the weekend I purchased a very interesting plant from the LFS.The leaves
are brown-red and have the shape of the arrowhead plant shown here

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/arrowhead.jpg

The plant was sold as a group of low-lying leaves/stems/small roots
attached/tied to a piece of wood. The piece of wood was totally covered, I
initially thought it was an onion. Some of the leaves have longer 1-2 stems
and are biggers in size (2-3 inches in length ?).

The plant is very delicate in general. Could not identify it, neither could
the guy at the LFS.

Any idea what it is? I'll try to take a picture of it if my description is
not sufficient.

Thanks

Old 18-02-2004, 07:33 PM
RedForeman ©®

Ghazanfar Ghori typed:
Red Tiger lotus?

What about a green variety??

Kinda looks like the lotus I've had, but never had a green one, I know
LeighMo has, but don't quote me on that...

If it is, there will be a big pingpong ball sized, brown ball nearby, unless
it's smaller, and has sent out a daughter plant, that's how it
propogates....

--
RedForeman ©®
....Red (head hung low) Foreman

Old 18-02-2004, 07:46 PM
nemo

Sure looks like it. Thanks!

But what the leaves are stemming from is not really a bulb!(?). They they
are tied to a piece of drift wood (or this is how it looks to me). Should I
keep the "bulb" burried in the substrate?

"Ghazanfar Ghori" wrote in message
. net...
Red Tiger lotus?

Old 18-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Marcus Fox

"nemo" wrote in message
On the weekend I purchased a very interesting plant from the LFS.The

leaves
are brown-red and have the shape of the arrowhead plant shown here

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/arrowhead.jpg

African tiger lotus var. rubra. Is this it?

http://www.petfish.net/Tiger_Lotus.htm

Marcus

Old 18-02-2004, 08:10 PM
RedForeman ©®

nemo typed:
Sure looks like it. Thanks!

But what the leaves are stemming from is not really a bulb!(?). They
they are tied to a piece of drift wood (or this is how it looks to
me). Should I keep the "bulb" burried in the substrate?

I have kept the bulb half covered to allow the stems to come out, they are
somewhat fragile and break off occasionally, and create a new plant, then it
grows a new bulb... I'm not 100% sure what is more important, tying the
bulb or the stems... I'd think the bulb, but who knows..

--
RedForeman ©®
....Red (head hung low) Foreman

Old 18-02-2004, 08:18 PM
nemo

Yes, it does look very much like this is it. It doesn't look very big now
though .
Should the bulb be burried?
Thanks!!!

PS. It looks more and more like I'm going to forfeit using the 130G as a
reef aquarium and use it for a planted tank instead!

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...

Old 18-02-2004, 08:41 PM
CS

I think your plant is a form of Syngonium. This plant is a bog or terrarium
plant and will not thrive totally submersed. I have two species of
Syngonium in my fishroom--however they are only partially submersed. Tak the
stems off the wood and out of the aquarium. Place them in the back wih the
leaves sticling out of the water. Make sure thsy get some light from the
room or a window. Soon the roots will grow thought the aquarium (fish,
especially fry, love it) and the leaves will grow all around the tank (the
room!!).

I hope this helps.

Lowcoaster

Old 18-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Charles

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:11:27 -0500, "nemo" wrote:

On the weekend I purchased a very interesting plant from the LFS.The leaves
are brown-red and have the shape of the arrowhead plant shown here

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/arrowhead.jpg

The plant was sold as a group of low-lying leaves/stems/small roots
attached/tied to a piece of wood. The piece of wood was totally covered, I
initially thought it was an onion. Some of the leaves have longer 1-2 stems
and are biggers in size (2-3 inches in length ?).

The plant is very delicate in general. Could not identify it, neither could
the guy at the LFS.

Any idea what it is? I'll try to take a picture of it if my description is
not sufficient.

Thanks

The veination doesn't look like that of my Nymphaea lotus plants. On
mine there are nine veins all radiating out from the center point. In
the picture I see what looks like a main vein out from the center to
the end and smaller veins branching off at intervals. The veining is
not as strong as in the syngonium pictures I was able to find, but it
resembles it more closely.

The description of the way the plant was growing doesn't sound like
mine either, my plant's leaves seem headed to the surface, not
clustering near the base.

--

- Charles
-