Old 20-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Bob

Default Swordplant baby-when to plant?

I have a large sword plant in my tank that has produced a long stalk with a
baby plant at the top near the top of my tank. It has no roots
yet...question is do I wait for roots to form to remove it and plant? My web
research seems to indicate that I need to wait for roots to form. The baby
has 8 to 10 nice 2" leaves at this point.
TIA,
Bob

Old 24-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Dave Millman

Bob wrote:

I have a large sword plant in my tank that has produced a long stalk with a
baby plant at the top near the top of my tank. It has no roots
yet...question is do I wait for roots to form to remove it and plant? My web
research seems to indicate that I need to wait for roots to form. The baby
has 8 to 10 nice 2" leaves at this point.

The most dependable way is to bury the base of the baby in your substrate. Roots
will form within days. If it is too hard to snake the long stalk back down to
the gravel, Just be patient, roots will probably form eventually.

Old 24-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Michi Henning

Bob wrote:

I have a large sword plant in my tank that has produced a long stalk with a
baby plant at the top near the top of my tank. It has no roots
yet...question is do I wait for roots to form to remove it and plant? My

web
research seems to indicate that I need to wait for roots to form. The baby
has 8 to 10 nice 2" leaves at this point.

The most dependable way is to bury the base of the baby in your substrate.

Roots
will form within days. If it is too hard to snake the long stalk back down to
the gravel, Just be patient, roots will probably form eventually.

Instead of trying the bend down the stalk to get the adventitious plant
into the substrate, just snip off the stalk either side of the adventitious
plant. The plant will strike within a few days most likely.

Echinodorus are very easy to propagate that way. I have a large
Echniodorus "Ozelot" in my tank that keeps putting out new spikes
and adventitious plants. I must have supplied half the city with
Ozelot swords by now... :-)

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

2 baby koi, 1 baby plant ~ janj Ponds 6 14-05-2006 01:42 AM
When/how to plant baby swordplants Gunnie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 25-11-2004 06:15 AM
uproot baby rose plant for a day John Gardening 2 24-03-2004 02:03 PM
Help with Amazon swordplant (its stemming!) Jeremy Pemberton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-07-2003 11:16 AM
Help with Amazon swordplant (its stemming!) Jeremy Pemberton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 05-06-2003 10:17 AM