Old 27-02-2004, 04:05 AM
DJay

Default Slightly OT SOF****ER question

Have any of you experienced leaky faucets after using a water
softener?

I just bought and moved into a 12-year-old house. The previous owner
had the Kenmore water softener in bypass. Checked the GH and with the
unit in bypass at the tap it was 13 dh or about 234 ppm. I cranked up
the softener about a month ago and I'm using KCL-salt for the brine
used in the ion exchange process. The water softener works great...
now the GH measures 0 dh. Anyway, about a week ago my kitchen faucet
started leaking - just an occasional drip at first but now much more
severe. That in itself would be coincidental, but now my clothes
washing machine is dripping as well (into the drum). Just the faucet
and I'd say coincidence, but the washer too? Can soft water cause
faucets to leak and washer to leak???

Have any of you ever experienced/heard of such a thing happening?

DJay (just about to become a plumber)