GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   raising baby red ramshorns who really do eat certain plants... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/54812-raising-baby-red-ramshorns-who-really-do-eat-certain-plants.html)

Keith E. Loyd 07-03-2004 07:17 PM

raising baby red ramshorns who really do eat certain plants...

Howdy,

I recently quarantined a pair of red ramshorn snails and their offspring
away from my planted tank. It had mild algae issues, but these snails,
despite their reputation, were making a buffet of certain swords,
ceropteris, lileopsis, and nymphoides.

They are now in a nice sized bucket with one of those off-the-side filters.

My question is this - what can I get away with feeding them that will keep
them healthy - including the babies? I just tossed a spindly sword in
there, kind of torn up and decided that they will eat it and be happy if
there is nothing else.

Can I just keep feeding them the discarded plant parts until they are big
enough to trade at my pet store?

regards,
Keith E. Loyd

Dave Millman 11-03-2004 01:50 AM

"Keith E. Loyd" wrote:

Howdy,

I recently quarantined a pair of red ramshorn snails and their offspring
away from my planted tank. It had mild algae issues, but these snails,
despite their reputation, were making a buffet of certain swords,
ceropteris, lileopsis, and nymphoides.

Is it possible they were eating mildly damaged or older leaves? Just asking.

My question is this - what can I get away with feeding them that will keep
them healthy - including the babies? I just tossed a spindly sword in
there, kind of torn up and decided that they will eat it and be happy if
there is nothing else.

You can feed them almost anything dead. Mine have never touched a live plant.
Try some flakes and zuchini slices to grow them big and fat.