Old 11-03-2004, 05:18 PM
san

Default Java Fern was Java Sword

Thanks for giving me a heads up on the care.

The two that I currently have I have planted straight in my
substraight. Has anybody else ever grown them there? or should I move
them up onto my bogwood? The one plant is in a small 5.5 gal tank, can
they be mounted on a small one inch diameter stone? I really don't
want any large pieces in my 5.5 tank. It houses one mean paradisefish
and he likes having all the plants to manouver through while he hunts
baby snails.

Anyone know where there is a good website that tells how to propegate
aquarium plants?

San
"CS" wrote in message
Wait until you see roots that are long enough for you to secure the

baby to
a rock or piece of wood.

lowcoaster
"san" wrote in message
. com...
I am new to live plants and have a question. I purchased two Java
Swords 6 weeks ago. One of the plants is growing babies on the

ends of
the leaves.
How long should I allow them to remain as they are and how do I go
about transplanting them away from their parent plant?

Thanks,
San

Old 11-03-2004, 06:38 PM
RedForeman ©®

"san" wrote in message
Thanks for giving me a heads up on the care.

The two that I currently have I have planted straight in my
substraight. Has anybody else ever grown them there? or should I move
them up onto my bogwood? The one plant is in a small 5.5 gal tank, can
they be mounted on a small one inch diameter stone? I really don't
want any large pieces in my 5.5 tank. It houses one mean paradisefish
and he likes having all the plants to manouver through while he hunts
baby snails.

Anyone know where there is a good website that tells how to propegate
aquarium plants?

I've only grown java fern for several months, well, almost a year, and it's
very versital as far as where you put it... as long as you're not putting
it's major vein in a bind or pinch, it'll grow and attach to anything, even
the substrate if it's porous... Smooth gravel won't allow it to attach to
with it's brown runners. I did put a piece in front of a piece of
driftwood, and 4 weeks later, it was attached and growing up length of it,
and is now affixed and won't come off... As Rick mentioned, you should bury
it in the substrate past the leaves shoots, that'll for sure make the major
vein rot and or die off..

I wanted to try and use it as a low light plant and it's thriving well, in 9
months, it's more than doubled in size, enough that I've now moved it around
to 4 different tanks...

As for propogation, that's not my cup of tea, although, there are different
types of propogation, runners, rhyzomes, daughter plants... each one does it
different.. some I know, some I dont.... sorry..

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!

==========================
2003 TRX450ES
1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
1987 TRX250R (sold)
1987 CBR600 Hurricane (sold)
1987 VFR700 Interceptor (sold)
1995 TRX300ex (sold)
2000 CBR600F4 silver/red (sold) *sniff*sniff*
'98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
==========================
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.
By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

Old 14-03-2004, 06:42 PM
san

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
"san" wrote in message
[...]

How tall has yours grown? Out of the plants I have purchased this is
my favorite for it's dark green coloring.

San

Old 16-03-2004, 12:47 AM
RedForeman ©®

"san" wrote in message
[...]

They are in a low light tank, 1.5WPG, and have reached nearly 10" at the
highest point, but this is a 10g tank, no CO2, so I'm sure if given a 29g
with CO2, they'll become broader and taller too.... I'm moving some over to
my 29g to see what they can do....