Old 13-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Shawn P. Good

Default Strange Algae Growth - Advice ??

Hello :

I recently had a case of ICH in my planted community tank so I medicated for
a week and cranked the temp up to 86F to speed up the ICH cycle. Seems like
I was successful - no more signs of ICH going on 2 weeks now.

However, this happened the week before we went away on vacation. I had my
neighbour feeding my fish, and I showed him how much to give them each day.
I also forgot to lower the temp before I left so it stayed at 86F for the
week I was gone. However, when I got back last weekend, the tank walls were
covered in algae that was growth in perfectly round little circles. My 2
plecos didn't seem to be touching it. The day I got back, I took a scrub
brush to the inside of the tank walls, and it was almost impossible to scrub
that algae off the glass (actually, acrylic). It took alot of muscle power
to finally get it off. However, there places like behind driftwood, talls
valesinera, etc, where I couldn't scrub well, and some remained behind. It
also seemed to be covering alot of the fluorite and black onyx substrate I
have. I then did a 75% water change or so in hopes of getting rid of most
the algae I dislodged from the tank walls.

It's now been a week. I've since dropped the temp down to 74F or so, but
the algae is coming back. Hard, difficult to scrub small circles of it on
my tank walls. The water also has a greenish tinge to it - which never
happens that fast within a week usuallly. In addition, I'm seeing these
balls of long filamentous green algae growing on the substrate and on the
leaves of some of my plants.

Now - I kept cichlids for years in a non-planted tank and only started up
this planted community tank about 2 months ago - so I'm a planted tank
newbie.

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to give me some advice on what is
going on in my tank.

Thank you.