Old 18-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Chris_S

Default Eradicating BBA

This has been quite a lively discussion. I had no idea when I posted my
question that I was opening pandora's box. Reading some of the other last
posts above is fascinating. I can't help but think about the political and
social persuasions behind some of these posts.

I really never gave it any thought before that asking a question about
aquariums had social aspects to it, but I see now that the response of a
particular person to such a question is entirely prejudiced by their own
envrionmental point of view.

I am certainly in the camp that believes technology is a good thing and to
be used to the fullest extent. Others are obviously more in the eco-nature
group that don't like chemicals. I wonder if they go to doctors or refuse
all medicine. In any event, I like living in the modern technology based
society and have no desire to follow the teachings of the Kaczynski
manifesto, or to return to those fun filled times of the middle ages where
they probably had little time for aquariums. But I digress...

I assume if you measured GH that you measured KH also?

I lost my KH test kit sometime ago. The results of GH/FH were never very
interesting. My water is always mild here. Nothing special hard or soft
wise. Tap water is always 7.0 ph here. I don't use the test kits much
anymore. I have a bunch of them, but I can tell what they will say just by
looking at the tank.

Chris.

Old 18-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Paulo

"Chris_S" wrote in message
[...]

Hey , "looking at the tank" its not very cientific or technological!!! I
guess also you use your "intuition" or inner you....JMHO

Chris.

Old 18-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Rick

"Chris_S" wrote in message
[...]

so how did you determine that your CO2 level is 25 PPM? Are you going by
your PH levels and what your KH used to be. I think you posted that your GH
was 6 degrees. With a PH of 6.8 and at about 25 ppm CO2 you would or should
have a KH around 5.6 d or 100 PPM. Your KH should be about 70% (if I
remember correctly) of your GH. I'm not sure if having your GH and KH about
the same would have any effect or not.

Rick

Rick

Old 19-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Marvin Hlavac

This has been quite a lively discussion. I had no
idea when I posted my question that I was

Yours was definitely post of the month!

I can't help but think about the political and
social persuasions behind some of these posts.

This is a hobby and many like to practice it in different ways. I wouldn't
say somebody else's method is better or worse if it achieves the same
result. I however, like you Chris, prefer the quicker and less painful way
to my goal. (If I were a female going to give a child birth I wouldn't be a
hero but I would ask for strong pain killers).

Just one question. I know you did try SAE's at one point and they didn't
help. Do you still have them in that affected tank? When I was in a similar
situation I noticed SAE's only being interested in the new algae growth. The
old, long stuff, they would not touch. Some leaves that had a lot of it were
cut. Some plants were bleached. It's been well over a year and no BBA (and
no other algae) problem.

I would not worry about every little spore of algae. If you are willing to
have some SAE's you should be okay.

--
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac

Old 19-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Aqua

Is there a website that elaborates on the Tom Barr method of dosing?

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/e_index.html
Old 19-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Rick

"Aqua" wrote in message
om...
Is there a website that elaborates on the Tom Barr method of dosing?

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/e_index.html

Tom is a regular contributor to the Aquatic Plants list which you can join
at

http://www.actwin.com/mailman/listin...quatic-plants. This is an
excellent site for just about everything to do with plants and even fish.
Members of the group are very helpful and include several noted plant
experts. Join the list and post a message giving complete details of your
tank, water, plant load, etc and ask for advice on Tom Barr dosing. I'm sure
you will find that Tom will come back with a dosing schedule for you.
Basically Tom's method or at least the one he provided me was dry dosing
ferts a couple of times a week and doing weekly 50% water changes which
resets the tank and does not allow the ferts to build up to dangerous
levels. I did it since November and it did improve the overall condition of
my plants. I have just recently gone back to dosing PMDD and biweekly water
changes to see what if any difference it will make.

Rick

Old 19-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Aqua

Old 21-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Robert Flory

"Chris_S" wrote in message
I guess I no longer believe that there are any water conditions under

which
BBA will not survive. Sure you can make it grow faster or slower, but the
point is it keeps growing once it is in your tank. That is not true with
Green algae. That you can control and essentially make it disappear.

I've
never had any significant problem with Green algae.

Once you have it in your tank, well I guess you could say it's probably

like
having Herpes. You just have to learn how to live with it. I am fed up
living with it and I want it out.

Regards, Chris.

You are right in one regard, there are not really any water conditions where
BBA won't grow. There are conditions where plants grow well enough that BBA
essentially disappears. Spores are everywhere, no matter what you do sooner
or later everything will find its way into your tank. If you have good
balanced conditions you don't have problems. Sadly balanced conditions in a
tiny artificial ecosystem are hard to come by.

You need balanced conditions where the plants grow well and they will not be
over powered by algae. You can spend bucks testing or use Tom's method of
dosing ferts and water changes.

A lot of Tom's ideas are based on solid experimental work and research. It
is fascinating to spend part of an afternoon listening to him talk about the
science and practical experience behind his ideas with experienced planted
aquarium types. I have to chuckle watching guys with kids (and tanks) older
than Tom listen and agree with his methods.

It isn't the only way, but it works. I personally have had really bad
experience with chemicals.

Actually I had my best luck using pristine water out of the big springs
along the Snake River. Never had any kind of problems, but it is a bit of a
long drive these days from the Bay Area.

Bob

Old 21-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Robert Flory

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message

I can only offer 2 words of advice...

Manual Removal - if it's not there, it_Can't_ grow... right?

If you have it, you must "Manually Remove" what you can... on substrate,
plants, equipment... entirely submersing them in chlorine will chemically
remove it... getting rid of it, totally is a hard job... slow but steady
manual removal is indeed the slowest but most promising method. A little

at
a time, will rid your tank of it...

Ok, with that said, I ask, will it grow back? If you repeat what started
it, yes... If you follow a somewhat strict regimen of CO2, Ferts, and

water
changes, it'll probably STOP growing, go dormant and may even subside...
that I cannot prove, but mine is no longer growing....

When all else seems like it'll too fail, you can always try what someone
suggests... it doesn't hurt.. I was the one saying I was going to tear

this
tank down to the stand and clean it... instead, I removed it manually,

added
CO2, and ferts, and slowly but surely, it's being removed.... daily.

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike streetfighter!!!

Mine hides under a tangled mess of Java fern. One of these I'll have to pull
the fern for a peroxide dip, but I'm lazy and it is behaving ;-)

bob

Old 21-03-2004, 05:13 AM
Robert Flory

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
No Red NOooooooooo....Don't do it, come back to the light side
Don't let these heathens suck you down. LOL

HA-HA!!! I'm not particularly looking forward to it, I'm trying the CO2,
ferts idea for a while first... but after some reading... eeehh???

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!!

Actually peroxide does just as well, it dies and ... turns white or pink,
then often gets eaten....

I've been told a big syringe using a needle for proper placement can kill it
in the tank. never tried that though. Might beat tearing up the tank.

Bob