GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   keeping plants planted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/56096-keeping-plants-planted.html)

Petebert 19-03-2004 08:09 PM

keeping plants planted

what can I use to keep my plants in the gravel? they always like to come up,
alot of the plants available in my area dont have the big root balls like
the swords do, those stay down in my tank with no problem.

Is it ok to use those metal weights that they come with? I worry they will
rust or get metal in the tank somehow.

[email protected] 19-03-2004 08:09 PM

keeping plants planted

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:33:14 -0500, "Petebert"
wrote:

what can I use to keep my plants in the gravel? they always like to come up,
alot of the plants available in my area dont have the big root balls like
the swords do, those stay down in my tank with no problem.

Is it ok to use those metal weights that they come with? I worry they will
rust or get metal in the tank somehow.

use 1/8" stainless steel u-shaped pins to hold them in place. You will
have to make them yourself out of s.s. tig rod or wire. Folded length
of about 4" or less should work well.

Dick 20-03-2004 12:42 PM

keeping plants planted

wrote:

what can I use to keep my plants in the gravel? they always like to come up,
alot of the plants available in my area dont have the big root balls like
the swords do, those stay down in my tank with no problem.

Is it ok to use those metal weights that they come with? I worry they will
rust or get metal in the tank somehow.

Lead doesn't rust. Iron rusts, some people add iron for their plants.
Maybe someone more into the chemistry angle good add to or correct
what I am saying.

As to the lead, I have used the lead strips many times. I pull them
off once the roots are well established to keep the stems from getting
cut as they expand.

CS 22-03-2004 03:27 PM

keeping plants planted

Hi,

I use weights on all my bunch plants--just be careful not to damage the
stems. They should not hurt your water--if you are worried, just use a
dechlorinator that eliminates heavy metals.

I hope this helps.

Charley (AKA Lowcoaster)

Aquatic-Store.com 28-03-2004 08:35 PM

keeping plants planted

A good substrate is also essential in keeping plants down. Once the
plants become rooted into the substrate it takes work to remove them

Kasselmann aquarium plants book 59.99

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

do you want a FREE CO2 Regulator or FREE CO2 DIFFUSOR????

Swing on by our webbforum to see how to get one!!

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

http://www.aquarium-plant-store.com