Old 24-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Phil Williamson

Default lights, fertilizer, CO2?

Algae isn't a problem in my tank. How long would it take to see the effects
of the CO2?

Phil...

"Alex R" wrote in message
"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a moderate to heavy planted 20 gal tank and I'm noticing that the
plants are growing at a decent rate but they seem to be getting holes in
them and rotting. Here's my tank specs:

- 15 watt powerglo
- 15 watt sunglow
- leaf zone plant fert.

I got my water tested the other week at my LFS and they seem to be well
within normal levels.

Do you think my tank would benefit from CO2 via a nutrafin natural plant
system?

I think CO2 would make a difference, but if you don't have any

(filamentous)
algae, it's not mandatory at your lighting. What I would suggest is

changing
your trace supplement to something more complete. Try Seachem Flourish,
Kent, or Tropica Mastergrow. The holes in your plants sounds like a lack

of
potassium, which the Leaf Zone doesn't provide enough of. For that, try

the
Seachem potassium supplement, or get some dry potassium sulfate, which is
more cost-effective. http://www.gregwatson.com/products.asp has it for

sale.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 24-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Alex R

KCl can be used a potassium supplement but a lot of people, including
myself, seemed to have trouble keeping shrimp while dosing it. I don't know
whether it was the KCl itself or some impurity that came along with it. But
if it kills shrimp, who knows what other harm it causes. That's why I don't
recommend it anymore. If you have a choice, go for K2SO4.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message

If you want a CHEAP source of Pottassium you can get Pottassium Chloride
from a product called No-Salt or Nu-Salt straight from your local grocery
store!

Old 24-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Alex R

"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
Algae isn't a problem in my tank. How long would it take to see the

effects
of the CO2?

Phil...

Probably not very long. You might see pearling within a day. If all other
nutrients are present, the plants should start growing faster almost
immediately. Keep in mind that you might have to dose nitrate in addition to
potassium, so test for that.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 24-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Happy'Cam'per

But
if it kills shrimp, who knows what other harm it causes. That's why I

don't
recommend it anymore. If you have a choice, go for K2SO4.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Interesting stuff Alex. My LFS has only recently had shrimp for sale and
I've been planning on getting a few. Maybe I should just get one to start
with and see how it goes. Do you think its the overdose of chloride that
kills them off? Any other posters here have the same experience? I'll be
sure to include your advice the next time I suggest KCl. Thanks mate!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 25-03-2004, 03:33 AM
Alex R

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
But
if it kills shrimp, who knows what other harm it causes. That's why I

don't
recommend it anymore. If you have a choice, go for K2SO4.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Interesting stuff Alex. My LFS has only recently had shrimp for sale and
I've been planning on getting a few. Maybe I should just get one to start
with and see how it goes. Do you think its the overdose of chloride that
kills them off? Any other posters here have the same experience? I'll be
sure to include your advice the next time I suggest KCl. Thanks mate!

I'm not even 100% sure if the shrimp deaths had anything to do with KCl or
if it was just a coincidence. Here's the story. I bought a dozen Amano
shrimp about two years ago, but they all died within the first few days, one
by one. I thought that maybe it was because I didn't acclimate them long
enough before I first introduced them. I then got a half a dozen more, but
the same thing happened. So I inquired about it on the APD, and one person
responded by saying that he had heard of multiple occasions of shrimp deaths
in tanks that had KCl added. I was dosing a lot of KCl at the time. So I
stopped adding KCl and got some K2SO4. After 2 or 3 months of not using KCl,
I got another 6 Amano shrimp, but 5 died and one survived. This one shrimp
lived in my tank for several months, but then it died not too long ago.

So I really don't know if it was the absense of KCl that allowed that one
shrimp to survive, or if it was some remaining KCl in the water that killed
those 5 shrimp. Another possibility is that it may have been some other
water condition in my tank that ultimately killed all the shrimp. Still,
there are
people who both dose KCl and keep shrimp successfully. And I've also been
told that there is plenty of chloride in the shrimps' natural brackish
environment. So I guess you have to make your own conclusion. I'm leaning
toward the KCl being harmful possibility.
__
Alex