Old 25-03-2004, 02:57 AM

Default Gravel Problems!!! Why now?

Hello

I have been keeping FW planted tanks since 98 and have had them on
auto-pilot with good results for a long time. I used the Eheim liquid doser
and only do bi weekly pruning and water changes.

Since I last moved I have been scourged with BGA which is receeding with
sole KNO3/K2SO4 treatment along with increase water flow. It seems to
disintergrate into fine treads before leaving.

The problem after testing carefull is my water hardness rises continuously.
My tap water is 30kH and 30gH. My tank after a 50% water change is 80
kH/80gH (optimum) but several days later creeps to 120-140ppm levels. I
further investigated that the MgCO3 levels are barely rising and the CaCO3
are way up. This leads me to believe it is the gravel.

I bought the PetCO cheapo stuff with pink gravel accidentally mixed in. It
was new but may be wrong for FW tanks. I do see epoxy coated substrates that
look awefull to.

I used 50lb bags of quartz fine before with little problem. IT is not
available here. I am considering ordering Carib-Sea Amazon Basin gravel at
great expense. I live in Greensboro NC.

What is a good option here????

Old 25-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Don Bosman

Swiming pool filter sand works really well, as long as you don't mind the
sandy color. I don't. My wife and daughter hate it. ;-)
50# bags at $5. - $8. per bag.

. ..

Old 25-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Kristen

wrote:

I am considering ordering Carib-Sea Amazon Basin gravel at
great expense. I live in Greensboro NC.

Can't think of anything else except that it seems logical it might be
the gravel.

However, I do have a suggestion for a great planted tank gravel:
Profile Aquatic Plant Soil. You can get it at home centers like Home
Depot. It's also sold under other variety names for a little cheaper
like "Turface" and "Shultz Soil Conditioner," but the particle sizes
can vary to almost dust-like in these other varieties. Profile is a
lot like Seachem Flourite but much cheaper, and it has more nutrients
like calcium, iron, potassium, manganese, magnesium, etc.

The benefit of either the Flourite or the Profile is that they provide
iron and other minerals for your plants' roots, but it doesn't get up
into the water column. They don't really need to be amended except
for really heavy feeders, IME. They're rounded enough that they're
safe for loaches and catfish. They're also very attractive.

Flourite: http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/p6130b.jpg

Profile: http://www.metrocast.net/~randall/chirotank.jpg
(in a newly-planted tank I set up for my chiropractor)

You can see a chemical breakdown of a lot of different substrates at
this page: http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

See ya,

Kristen

Old 28-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Matt

The problem with Profile is that the stuff is too "light". It is not as heavy
as Flourite. If you use a gravel vac, even the lightest flow will get you a
bucket (or sink) full of gravel. It was so much of a pain, I went and spent a
little extra for the Flourite. Turns out my plants like it better.

Matt

Old 28-03-2004, 12:30 PM
Dick

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:27:39 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I am curious, why focus on gravel?

I have 5 tanks, one has fine sand, another coarse sand, two have a
gravel that is mixed blue and white coarser gravel and one no gravel.
They all have live plants, I keep the plants down with lead weights in
the no gravel tank. I see no difference except the no gravel tank has
less healthy plants.

Have you changed gravel since 98? If so why?

Epoxy coated substrates? This is your observed problem? Epoxy is not
a natural thing to have in tanks is it? Or, are you saying you have
something on your substrate that looks like epoxy?

Are you talking about one tank or several with same conditions?

How are your fish? How are your plants?

Are you only concerned about the chemistry? If so, could it be your
testing kit that is the problem?

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 08:12 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 25-03-2004 02:56 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 25-03-2004 02:56 AM
Gravel Problems!!! Why now? Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 25-03-2004 02:45 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 01:12 AM