GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rewiring my Workhorse 5 ballast? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/56827-rewiring-my-workhorse-5-ballast.html)

Kristen 25-03-2004 11:49 AM

Rewiring my Workhorse 5 ballast?

Hi, I've got a Workhorse 5 ballast driving a single 96 watt PC bulb.
It's turned out to be too much light for the tank, so I'd like to
drive the bulb at a little lower wattage. Unfortunately, I lost the
documentation that came with it, and I couldn't find the info I needed
on the Fulham website, so does anybody know how to rewire this ballast
to do this?

I'm assuming that I somehow would take only three of the wires and run
the bulb off those, but I'm unsure how to arrange this exactly. That
would be about 72 watts?

Also, if it's possible, this wouldn't damage the bulb, right? Might
it even increase its lifespan?

Thanks for any info!

Kristen

Kristen 25-03-2004 11:56 AM

Rewiring my Workhorse 5 ballast?

(Kristen) wrote:

96 watt bulb...
I'm assuming that I somehow would take only three of the wires and run
the bulb off those, but I'm unsure how to arrange this exactly. That
would be about 72 watts?

D'oh! Sorry to reply to myself, but I started out with the wrong "max
voltage" for my calculation. The max volts for this ballast is 128
volts. So that would be 2 wires for 64 volts. I would cap off two
wires, connect the remaining two together and run that into the bulb,
right?

And that wouldn't hurt the bulb, to run at 64 volts? Would it even
make it last longer?

Thanks,

Kristen