Old 29-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Vicki

Default Crypts growing plants on leaves

I bought some crypts for my tank about a month ago and besides putting
out new leaves some of the older leaves have began sprouting new
plants. What I want to know is what to do with the new plants. I
want the main plant to bush out, not start new ones. If I cut off the
plantlets will it cause the main plant to put out even more or will it
stop. I read something about it in last months issue of TFH but
didn't get much out of the article except that they are hardy plants.

Thanks for any info I can get,
Vicki
Old 30-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Vicki

Try not to force them off the mother plant as they are so delicate and small
that you could damage them. Once removed you can let them float for a week
or 2 at the surface, this will give them a bit of time to grow and develop
roots. They can be planted normally as soon as the root system can support
them. HTH. Crypts are just too kewl
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...

Old 30-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Vicki

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message ...
Hi Vicki

Try not to force them off the mother plant as they are so delicate and small
that you could damage them. Once removed you can let them float for a week
or 2 at the surface, this will give them a bit of time to grow and develop
roots. They can be planted normally as soon as the root system can support
them. HTH. Crypts are just too kewl
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Thanks Cam'per, But what I realy want to know is if I remove the
babies will the parent plant bush out more? I know terrestrial plants
like the tulip do better if not left to seed, so does the same apply
to aquatic plants? Will cutting off the leif half way cause the
parent to bush out or will it produce more babies at the cut?

Thanks,
Vicki
Old 31-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Hi Vicki

Truthfully, I'm not sure. My gutt feel is that chopping an aquarium plant
leaf in half will not cause the plant to get bushier, would probably be
detrimental to the health of the plant. Why fix it if it aint broken, if
your Crypt is giving baby plants then just let nature run its course. It
sounds like its doing well, the bushy part will come with age
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...

Old 01-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Vicki

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message ...
Hi Vicki

Truthfully, I'm not sure. My gutt feel is that chopping an aquarium plant
leaf in half will not cause the plant to get bushier, would probably be
detrimental to the health of the plant. Why fix it if it aint broken, if
your Crypt is giving baby plants then just let nature run its course. It
sounds like its doing well, the bushy part will come with age
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Thanks for the info Cam'per,
It is funny that I know so much about landscape plants, but virtually
nothing about aquatic ones. I will leave it be and see what happens

Vicki