Old 10-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Robert Flory

Default Green water and CO2

I'm assuming stump remover is only sold on the west side of the pond.
That's what I use.

bob
"Graham Broadbridge" wrote in message
u...
"Michi Henning" wrote in message

The solution lasts indefinitely, no refrigeration needed. Label the

bottle
as
poison
though! I haven't tried, but I suspect KNO3 would taste awful, and I

have
no
idea
what would happen if someone swallowed it -- it may well be toxic.
Left-over soda bottles with their labels still on are probably a bad

idea...

See http://www.chemsupply.com.au/MSDS/1CH5K.pdf

Graham.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Robert Flory

Hence the famous creek ion Wyoming, US of A.....

Killpecker Creek ;-)

bob
"T" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Graham Broadbridge" wrote in message
u...
"Michi Henning" wrote in message

The solution lasts indefinitely, no refrigeration needed. Label the

bottle
as
poison
though! I haven't tried, but I suspect KNO3 would taste awful, and I

have
no
idea
what would happen if someone swallowed it -- it may well be toxic.
Left-over soda bottles with their labels still on are probably a bad

idea...

See http://www.chemsupply.com.au/MSDS/1CH5K.pdf

Graham.

Depends who drinks it Michi... Salt Peter in low doses has a tendency to
affect male seuxal function... Kinda gets ya down if you know what I

mean..

I never really viewed algae as a serious problem or a problem at
all...If the water is turning green you might want to cut the feedings for
you fish down, add extra filtration, and do more water changes..All three

of
these suggestions have worked fine for mew in the past.. And well the
present.. The other thing you might think about is adding some plants, to
use up some of the excess waste as well..

Tim...

Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Dave Millman

Graham Broadbridge wrote:

Most tanks are not short of nitrate. Tanks that are short of nitrate
normally have lots of light ( more than 2-3 watts per gallon of flourescent
light) and injected CO2 at around 15-30 ppm CO2, and lots of fertilizers.

Graham, your statement is generally true of tanks with fish, but because Shawn
has the green water, he is more likely in the low-nitrate category than in the
"most tanks" category you describe.

Green water is unliely to be solved by addition of KNO3.

Experience argues against this statement. Many cases of green water have been
solved by increasing NO3. The cure is not quick, however, and there must be a
substantial mass of healthy plants in the tank. If the green water has lasted
too long, the plants may not be able to recover fast enough to prevent another
greenwater explosion. The best route in this case is:

* 50% water change, dose Nitrate to 5-10 ppm (I believe Shawn is low)
* Three day blackout
* 50% water change, dose all ferts.

Best bet is to
use UV sterilization of the water column to kill the algae spores.

On this point we agree, if by "best" you mean the easiest and most foolproof.
But also the most costly.

Old 13-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Graham Broadbridge

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Graham Broadbridge wrote:

Most tanks are not short of nitrate. Tanks that are short of nitrate
normally have lots of light ( more than 2-3 watts per gallon of

flourescent
light) and injected CO2 at around 15-30 ppm CO2, and lots of

fertilizers.

Graham, your statement is generally true of tanks with fish, but because

Shawn
has the green water, he is more likely in the low-nitrate category than in

the
"most tanks" category you describe.

I'm not sure that follows :-) I've seen green water in tanks with 10-50ppm
nitrate.
Probably Shawn should test the nitrate level before deciding on a course of
action.

Graham.