Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Tom Hale

Default Odd Cloudy Water Question/Problem

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message ...
Netmax, I think you are right, you have to give the new substrate time to
get covered in biofilm, this will bind things a bit. The OP must just be
patient.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

I was patient. The water was clear for 2+ months before it got
cloudy. It sat cloudy for 9 months. I'm trying the whole no light,
no food, no filtration/water movement now to see if that makes a
difference.

T.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
NetMax

"Tom Hale" wrote in message
m...
"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message

Netmax, I think you are right, you have to give the new substrate

time to
get covered in biofilm, this will bind things a bit. The OP must

just be
patient.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

I was patient. The water was clear for 2+ months before it got
cloudy. It sat cloudy for 9 months. I'm trying the whole no light,
no food, no filtration/water movement now to see if that makes a
difference.

T.

Don't go no light/food/filtration too long. Light won't make much
difference, unless it was an algae bloom. Food won't make much
difference unless it was a food-driven bacterial imbalance. Turning off
the filter can starve off your good bacteria making the situation worse
(plus an ammonia/nitrite spike). No water movement has possibilities (if
you can move your working filter elsewhere for the duration). On a new
set-up, the filter being off makes no difference because there is no life
in the filter which you are trying to preserve.

Unless r.a.f.p. gave you better advice, I'd try a round of flocculants
(Clear-Water, Accuwater, P-Clear etc).

NetMax

Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Chris Oinonen Ehren

For the record, I use laterite and have no clear water problems. I had some
red/muddy looking water for the first day, but it settled down quickly.
Since then the tank has been chugging along fine. It is heavily planted and
populated, with an ogf and two powerheads (55 gallon) and a population of
maylasian mud snails.

--
Chris

Old 15-07-2004, 03:13 AM
John Owens

I had a similar problem with my 55 gallon tank. I used a chemical called
"Algae Fix" it's for planted tanks. It had the water CRYSTAL clear in
about 4 hours. The problem never came back. It wasn't a bacterial bloom
it was some sort of freakish algae bloom.