Old 01-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Harry Muscle

Default Prefilter for Fluval 404?

I asked this question over in the misc group, but since prefilters seem to
be most often used in planted tanks, I thought I'd ask the same question
here too:

I'm setting up a 55G planted tank with a Fluval 404. I can't decide if I
should get a prefilter for the intake tube or not? What are the pros and
cons of having a prefilter? If it's a good idea, know of any prefilters
that easily attach to the Fluval 404 intake tube? Or maybe one that
I can attach to 1/2 or 3/4 PVC pipe?

Thanks,
Harry

Old 02-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Graham Broadbridge

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
I asked this question over in the misc group, but since prefilters seem to
be most often used in planted tanks, I thought I'd ask the same question
here too:

I'm setting up a 55G planted tank with a Fluval 404. I can't decide if I
should get a prefilter for the intake tube or not? What are the pros and
cons of having a prefilter? If it's a good idea, know of any prefilters
that easily attach to the Fluval 404 intake tube? Or maybe one that
I can attach to 1/2 or 3/4 PVC pipe?

Unless you have some fish that likes making salad out of plants (Silver
Dollars spring to mind), I much prefer leaving the filter to do its job, and
not bother pre filtering. Q. What does pre filtering achieve in a normal
planted tank? A. Daily cleaning of the pre-filter :-)

G.

Thanks,
Harry

Old 06-04-2004, 09:34 PM

I disagree - I use a block of filter foam over the intakes of my Ehiems.
Medium planted tank (90 gallon) medium population. Every water change
(weekly) clean the prefilters. easy. just cut a block of foam to the size
you need (I'd think 2"x2"x2" for a 404) cut an "X" into the end and slip
it over the intake.

Just my 2cents

Kirk Penney

Graham Broadbridge )
: ...
:

: http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
: -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

--

& the cats & all the fishes too!!
Remove *NOCANNEDMEAT* to respond

Old 08-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Graham Broadbridge

wrote in message news:uXZbc.4161$G3.41340@localhost...
I disagree - I use a block of filter foam over the intakes of my Ehiems.
Medium planted tank (90 gallon) medium population. Every water change
(weekly) clean the prefilters. easy. just cut a block of foam to the size
you need (I'd think 2"x2"x2" for a 404) cut an "X" into the end and slip
it over the intake.

We'll have to agree to disagree :-) I rinse the filter media weekly, so no
need to clean a prefilter :-) That keeps the nitrate levels down to where
I like them. I guess that your maintenance achieves the same end result.

Graham.

Old 21-04-2004, 12:09 AM
C.S.

wrote:
Q. What does pre filtering achieve in a normal
: planted tank? A. Daily cleaning of the pre-filter :-)

I'm with Graham on this one. My cannister is up to three months between

cleanings.
Prefilters clog fast, then faster with age.

I've got a prefilter on mine that I only clean about once every 6-8
weeks. My fluval gets a thorough cleaning once every 3 months. I have
a pic of my tank posted here at this forum check it out:

http://www.pricenetwork.ca/forum/sho...threadid=14667

As you can see my tank is heavily planted and I've got about 20 happy
fish in total.

a prefilter in a "heavily" planted tank should allow you more time between
cleaning the canister. It's a lot easier to remove a block of sponge over
the intake or the commercial prefilter that will fit right onto the intake
tube and rinse it then it is to disconnect a 404 filter and remove and clean
all the media. Regardless of prefilter or not I clean my 404 about once
every 4-5 weeks. Not hard to tell when you have used a prefilter or not.

Rick