Old 26-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Kevin

Default Free C02 regulator

A third possibility related to #2 happened to me. Too much activity in the
pop bottle pushed the yeat mixture into the tank. A couple 50% water
changes over 3 days and adding some charcoal to the HOT filter fixed things
up. No fish losses.

"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
In that case, it was most likely that the person, using a yeast system
to generate CO2, had the yeast mixture enter the tank. The yeast
mixture pollutes the water, the yeast growing consumes oxygen, etc.

This can happen in several cases:

1) The bottle gets knocked over. Usually by a small child or a pet.

2) When mixing up a yeast mixture, it's common to use very warm water
to properly activate the yeast. If you prepare the mix, and cap the
bottle and connect it right away, you might have problems. The
cooling mixture will contract, drawing water from the tank backwards
thru the CO2 line. This raises the water level in the yeast bottle,
and when the yeast starts really producing CO2, the now higher water
level allows the mixture to get pushed up the CO2 line into the tank.

In either case, lots of water changes can normally save the fish as
long as it's detected soon enough.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 27-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Wed, 26 May 2004 12:42:24 -0500, "Kevin"
wrote:

A third possibility related to #2 happened to me. Too much activity in the
pop bottle pushed the yeat mixture into the tank. A couple 50% water
changes over 3 days and adding some charcoal to the HOT filter fixed things
up. No fish losses.

By activity, do you mean just the yeast reacting quickly and causing
the mix to expand? Never saw that, but I usually kept the mix at
least an inch or two below the bottle cap / airline.

My usual procedure (from when I was using a yeast system a few years
ago), was to prepare the mix, let it sit uncapped for a few hours,
until the water was down to room temp, then connect it to the tank.

I'm a horrible procrastinator. The yeast method would only work for
me for about 2 weeks. Then I'd forget to mix up a new batch, and the
tank would be without CO2 for a few weeks. That's why I like
pressurized. I literally forget about it for several months at a time
without any problems.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 29-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Sir Douglas Cook

AS IF!!!!!!!
As if, I was trying to educate you!

I write to share ideas, with those that want too.
and more importantly,,,,,,,, learn, while hopefully
making friends, go head, this sentence is load ;-)

Oh, come on... didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.... Sir...

sure.................

Hey, RedForeman ©®
If we are debating,,, I concede... you win...
If we are sharing ideas,,, I thank you as you proved your point (many times)
;-)

Hope to chat on a different topic... later as I think our message are
somewhat
interesting.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| AS IF!!!!!!!
|| As if, I was trying to educate you!
|| I write to share ideas, with those that want too.
|| and more importantly,,,,,,,, learn, while hopefully
|| making friends, go head, this sentence is load ;-)
||| Oh, come on... didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch....
||| Sir... sure.................
|| Hey, RedForeman ©®
|| If we are debating,,, I concede... you win...
|| If we are sharing ideas,,, I thank you as you proved your point
|| (many times) ;-)
|| Hope to chat on a different topic... later as I think our message are
|| somewhat
|| interesting.

just call me the jest.. er.. jester.... whatever works... I live, I laugh, I
love to laugh.... :-)

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike

is that better??