Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 PM
blank

Default Nil Nitrate is Bad in PlantedTank?

Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I have misunderstood the role of nitrate in an
established planted freshwater aquarium. My ammonia level is almost always
zero (or so it appears from my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit.) But
recently I have noticed newsgroup responses indicating that some nitrate is
good for the plants.

Maybe my weekly 20% water change is excessive. I'd appreciate
advice--should I reduce the weekly quantity, reduce the frequency, or just
stop being so damn obsessive? My plant growth is disappointing. The other
paramaters are normally: pH 7.6, GH 6, KH 5, PO4 0.25. (No CO2 injection,
quite heavily stocked 75gal tank with about 25% plant cover).

Old 14-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Kenneth Ho

Its perfectly normal in a healthy planted tank with good growth. I even have
zero phosphate in my 35 gal if I don't dose. If things look fine to you, you
maybe better off leave it this way. But by start dosing KNO3 would almost
guarantee better growth in your case.

Cheers
Kenneth

"blank" ¦b¶l¥ó
u ¤¤¼¶¼g...

http://www.usenet.com
Old 15-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Graham Broadbridge

"blank" wrote in message
u...
Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I have misunderstood the role of nitrate in

an
established planted freshwater aquarium. My ammonia level is almost

always
zero (or so it appears from my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit.) But
recently I have noticed newsgroup responses indicating that some nitrate

is
good for the plants.

Nitrogen (nitrate) is essential for plant growth. It's one of the big three
N-P-K Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Pottasium that are the ingredients in all
fertilizers. Plants also need some other ingredients in a fertilizer,
normally called Trace elements.

For best plant growth you should maintain around 5-10ppm Nitrate, but of
course you need to also ensure adequate reserves of the other 2 of the big
three as well as trace elements. You also need sufficient light (more than
2 watts per gallon is good) and sufficient dissolved CO2 in the water.

It's all a big juggling act that many folks spend countless hours attempting
to achieve.

Graham.

Old 17-04-2004, 12:32 AM
NetMax

"blank" wrote in message
u...
Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I have misunderstood the role of nitrate

in an
established planted freshwater aquarium. My ammonia level is almost

always
zero (or so it appears from my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit.) But
recently I have noticed newsgroup responses indicating that some

nitrate is
good for the plants.

Maybe my weekly 20% water change is excessive. I'd appreciate
advice--should I reduce the weekly quantity, reduce the frequency, or

just
stop being so damn obsessive? My plant growth is disappointing. The

other
paramaters are normally: pH 7.6, GH 6, KH 5, PO4 0.25. (No CO2

injection,
quite heavily stocked 75gal tank with about 25% plant cover).

If your NO3 is zero with 25% plant coverage, then you need more fish, or
to feed them more ;~) I don't get zero NO3 until I hit about 75%
coverage. I would scale back to a 10% change myself, and see if there is
a difference.

NetMax

Old 20-04-2004, 08:08 PM

"blank" wrote in message . au...
Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I have misunderstood the role of nitrate in an
established planted freshwater aquarium. My ammonia level is almost always
zero (or so it appears from my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit.) But
recently I have noticed newsgroup responses indicating that some nitrate is
good for the plants.

Maybe my weekly 20% water change is excessive. I'd appreciate
advice--should I reduce the weekly quantity, reduce the frequency, or just
stop being so damn obsessive? My plant growth is disappointing. The other
paramaters are normally: pH 7.6, GH 6, KH 5, PO4 0.25. (No CO2 injection,
quite heavily stocked 75gal tank with about 25% plant cover).

Non CO2 tanks don't benefit from adding KNO3 generally if you are
setting it up as a planted tank.

The balance is much easier to maintain in the long term by adding more
fish food/fish/algae eaters.

That is your source of nutrients, not inorganic components. Many
people will tell you to add this or that, and that's fine, for a CO2
enriched tank, but non CO2 tanks are Carbon limited and sometimes co
limited but low NO3/PO4 etc at low CO2 levels does not affect things
as bad as when you have the high growth rates associatred with the CO2
enrichment.

So stop being so damn obsessive, add more plants, or let these grow in
more and feed your fish more as the plant biomass increases.
Try Hemianthus, pearl grass for a foreground plant.

I would not trust the cheap test kits unless they have been gauged
with a known standard. NO3 readings are notoriously poor with most
test kits.

Make clear when asking for help, that you are not using CO2.
If you have a light fish load etc, then adding KNO3 maybe appropriate
but generally adding more fish and fish food is better.

See Diana Walstad's book and some various sites on non CO2 methods. I
have fully planted very nice looking tanks that have never had CO2 or
a water change done in 6+ months.

Regards,
Tom Barr