Old 15-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Tom B.

Default EBO-Jager, Fully submersible or not?

I just purchased an Ebo-jager 100W heater for my 10g (I know a 50w would be
better for 10g but it's really a backup heater for my primary tank, a 20g)
tank thinking it was a fully submersible heater. when I got it though it
doesn't say anything specifically about being submersible and it has a water
line near the top of the heater. Is it submersible or not?

Also, what is a better way to mount a heater, horizontally or vertically? I
had the impression the horizontal was better but the instructions that came
with my other heater (ViaAqua 100w Titanium tube) say not to put it that
way.

Old 15-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Chris_S

I've got several EBOs. As far as I know you can put them under water. It's
just not too easy getting to the temp knob when you do that.

I always thought highly of the EBOs in the past, but recently I'm not so
sure anymore. For all their claims about their temp accuracy, they just
don't bare out. Recently I got a digital temp thermometer. I verified it
was correct by checking it against another of my lab grade digitals. It was
within 0.25C. Very good.

But my EBO's were way off. One was 5F high and the other was 3F high. You
set for 80F and the water temp was 85F. I had to set it down to 75F to get
the water at 80F were I wanted it.

Virtually all of the built-in temp gauges on heaters I have tested are
wrong. I just don't trust any of them anymore. My advice is to invest $15
in a digital temp thermometer and just use the heater gauges for adjusting
them. Their accuracy is just too questionable.

Chris.

Old 15-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Yes you can submerge them. I was told from the distributor that the
waterline mark had to be placed on the heater because otherwise they
did not meet some regulatory standard in the US. Same models are sold
worldwide without the waterline mark. Actually, at times, you see US
retailers selling the models intended for non-US market as "FULLY
SUBMERSIBLE EBO-JAGGER!!!" just because they are missing some ink on
the glass

At least that's what I was told, I have 3 of them and keep them
submerged without problems, mine are all vertical however my LFS keeps
them all horizontal in their display tanks. As far as accuracy, they
are better than most on the market (of similar design that is). And
you really shouldn't depend 100% on what the dial says when setting a
heater, that's what thermometers are for. Once it's set, it stays
stable so you can remove the thermometer and just check temp from time
to time.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 16-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Jim Anderson

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:25:52 -0500, Tom B. wrote...

I just purchased an Ebo-jager 100W heater for my 10g (I know a 50w would be
better for 10g but it's really a backup heater for my primary tank, a 20g)
tank thinking it was a fully submersible heater. when I got it though it
doesn't say anything specifically about being submersible and it has a water
line near the top of the heater. Is it submersible or not?

That line is the safe minimum water line, that much of it *must* be
submerged.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Old 16-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Cichlidiot

Jim Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:25:52 -0500, Tom B. wrote...

I just purchased an Ebo-jager 100W heater for my 10g (I know a 50w would be
better for 10g but it's really a backup heater for my primary tank, a 20g)
tank thinking it was a fully submersible heater. when I got it though it
doesn't say anything specifically about being submersible and it has a water
line near the top of the heater. Is it submersible or not?

That line is the safe minimum water line, that much of it *must* be
submerged.

The newer models sold in certain countries have two water lines, a maximum
water line and a minimum water lines. The older models only had the later.
You are supposed to keep the water level between these two lines on the
newer model, but I've heard people who have them who submerge them like
the old model in a thread that came up on this same topic several months
ago in one of the aquaria groups.
Old 17-04-2004, 12:32 AM
NetMax

"Chris_S" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I see heaters having 3 parameters of interest, absolute accuracy,
relative accuracy and drift.

Absolute accuracy is defined as how close the water temp. is to the set
point (on the dial). Analogs thermostat heaters are between infinity (no
number on dial) and about 4-6F (ie:Thermals). I find the digital
thermostat equipped heaters are better, at around 3-4F accuracy. This
factory adjustment is done in a high speed manufacturing environment,
probably in the atmosphere, instead of submerged with a long dwell time.
Fortunately, it's your least important parameter, as the heater should be
adjusted to a thermometer.

Relative accuracy is your most important parameter, which is how much
does the temperature bounce around. Typically, you can see about 2F
bounce, and the doctrine is that a 3F change in 24 hours is fine for
fish, so heaters are generally well within that range. Compare the tank
temperature early in the AM to late in the day to compare. More than 2F
drift might be your lights warming the tank beyond the heater's set point
though.

Drift is..- drift ). Your setpoint wasn't changed, but the tank's
temperature is slowly (over months) going up or down. This is an ailment
of digital thermostat heaters, related to solid state fatigue, especially
the earlier models. As long as the range of your dial still lets you
adjust up or down, you have a bit of time to buy another heater, but
eventually you run out of adjustment range, and beware that drift can
accelerate quickly. Contact the manufacturer as they might be able to
help.

If your EBOs are relatively accurate and not drifting, then your fish are
happy, so you can be too ).

NetMax

Cheapest Websites: Only for 100USD: Fully designed and Fully registered Anees Gardening 0 14-03-2012 07:57 AM
WTB: Submersible pump Mike Ponds 1 28-06-2004 07:02 AM
Is anyone aware of an energy efficient submersible pump. Mickey Ponds 5 31-05-2004 04:03 PM
FS: submersible ultraviolet clarifier/sterilizer for pond barbara archuleta Ponds 0 13-06-2003 04:32 AM
Submersible Lights in or out of Pond? Robert Ramirez Ponds 10 29-05-2003 06:22 AM