GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   uh, *gulp* I only wanted aquarium advice, woo..yikes! Wrong place? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/59443-uh-%2Agulp%2A-i-only-wanted-aquarium-advice-woo-yikes-wrong-place.html)

Lopaka 20-04-2004 03:04 AM

uh, *gulp* I only wanted aquarium advice, woo..yikes! Wrong place?

Ok, so how do you do this? Stats first? OK:
20 gal undergravel filter and a Aqua Clear 150
22 fish and maybe snails as the 2 clowns just
love to dig a hole, rock by rock to eat something?
Really nice bright salmon colored ones, and their
fins are brillant and the black is dark black.

mm, lets see, if 1" per gallon, I am over stocked to
25" (?) ok, wait I must need a breakdown,

11 neons'
3 heaDLIGHTS, oops
3 black skirt tetras'
2 albino catfish (who insist onlaying eggs)
1 1"opihi pleco (i love its dancing algae feasting)
1 4" clown & 1 3" clown

Yikes! my question only was this is a 3 yr old tank and
I added some fert for my plants and am plaqued with the
hairy algae! Hints please? I have this Algae killer but its
old and doesn't seem to help

Toni 20-04-2004 11:02 AM

"Lopaka" wrote in message

Yikes! my question only was this is a 3 yr old tank and
I added some fert for my plants and am plaqued with the
hairy algae! Hints please? I have this Algae killer but its
old and doesn't seem to help

Do you have enough fast growing plants to out compete the algae?

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/discus.htm

Dick 21-04-2004 12:04 PM

uh, *gulp* I only wanted aquarium advice, woo..yikes! Wrong place?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:40:31 GMT, "Toni" wrote:

"Lopaka" wrote in message
. ..

Yikes! my question only was this is a 3 yr old tank and
I added some fert for my plants and am plaqued with the
hairy algae! Hints please? I have this Algae killer but its
old and doesn't seem to help

Do you have enough fast growing plants to out compete the algae?

How about light? Is your tank near a window and getting too much
light? How many hours a day do you have the lights on? How many
watts per gallon?

Hairy algae can be a real bugger. My 75 gallon had a bad case. I
replaced every plant that had any on it and removed gravel that it was
growing on. I only bought low light plants as I then found my lights
"watts per gallon" was less than 2 wpg.

I filled the bottom of the tank with the new low light plants, cut my
hours per day of lighting to 12 hours per day.