Old 22-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Acgelok

Default ozelot sword

Hi all, I've just purchased an "echinodorus ozelot" (ozelot sword)
The tag says moderate to strong light requirement I run 2.5-3.0 Watt/ gal.
Does anyone have any experiance with this plant ?
It sure is a nice looking plant and a exelent addition to my heavely planted 90
gal.
If anyone has any helpfull hints to growing this plant I would definitly
appreciate it
Please reply to this forum or to my Email address I will respond a.s.a.p. but I
have 5-6 other hobbies keeping me ocupied so it may me take a day or two to get
back to y'all. Pls. respond with any & all info you might have
sincerely & regards ART
Old 23-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Dunter Powries

Acgelok wrote in message
Hi all, I've just purchased an "echinodorus ozelot" (ozelot sword)
The tag says moderate to strong light requirement I run 2.5-3.0 Watt/

gal.
Does anyone have any experiance with this plant ?
It sure is a nice looking plant and a exelent addition to my heavely

planted 90
gal.
If anyone has any helpfull hints to growing this plant I would definitly
appreciate it
Please reply to this forum or to my Email address I will respond a.s.a.p.

but I
have 5-6 other hobbies keeping me ocupied so it may me take a day or two

to get
back to y'all. Pls. respond with any & all info you might have
sincerely & regards ART

I've grown and propagated beautiful red-spot ozelot in tanks from just under
2 wpg to about 3.5 wpg. It grows to the top of the tank under lower light
but the reds are more brilliant under brighter light. At the moment I have
an especially spectacular specimen as the centerpiece of a 75 gal tank under
4 x 55watt compacts. Very easy plant to grow.

Old 23-04-2004, 10:04 AM
Tasslehoff

It's a really gorgeous plant provided you have at least 2W/G and can provide
a half decent substrate and root tablets. Try to keep the surface/sides
free from floating clutter to give it more light, otherwise it won't display
it's great colour. The leaves grow really chunky muhaha and older leaves
turn green, appear to lose their spots and eventually decay which is when I
trim them.

Old 23-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Dunter Powries

Tasslehoff wrote in message
u...
It's a really gorgeous plant provided you have at least 2W/G and can

provide
a half decent substrate and root tablets. Try to keep the surface/sides
free from floating clutter to give it more light, otherwise it won't

display
it's great colour. The leaves grow really chunky muhaha and older leaves
turn green, appear to lose their spots and eventually decay which is when

trim them.

I grow my biggies over UGF plates. The roots get down under the plates and
get their nutrients directly from the water column. (When it's time to move
the plants, I just snip the root mass.)

Old 23-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Acgelok

free from floating clutter to give it more light, otherwise it won't
display
it's great colour. The leaves grow really chunky muhaha and older leaves
turn green, appear to lose their spots and eventually decay which is when

trim them.

I'm glad of the pos. feedback because I can see a beautiful specimen plant
developing . I'm going to see if might find a couple more for my other tank
IMHO there is nothing more relaxing than looking at a nicely planted tank
during the cold winter months. It makes one feel like you're on vacation
thanks for the feed back and
regards ART

Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Giancarlo Podio

"Tasslehoff" wrote in message . au...
It's a really gorgeous plant provided you have at least 2W/G and can provide
a half decent substrate and root tablets.

Here's a photo of an Ozelot flowering in my 90 gallon with three 32W
T8 tubes:

http://www.gpodio.com/posts/ozelot_flower.jpg

There's no reason why this plant can't be grown at 1wpg if everything
else is provided for. It certainly does not require more than 2wpg.
Actually, I have found that the colors fade a little with stronger
lighting. This one is sitting in flourite with flourish tabs as the
only fertilizers used in the tank. Leaving it alone and letting the
roots develop over time is the best way to get it to grow well, this
one has been in this tank for about a year now and is close to
breaking the surface now, prior to that it was in a 55g with 80W of
lighting.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
www.gpodio.com
Old 28-04-2004, 08:09 PM
RedForeman ©®

Here's a photo of an Ozelot flowering in my 90 gallon with three 32W
T8 tubes:

http://www.gpodio.com/posts/ozelot_flower.jpg

There's no reason why this plant can't be grown at 1wpg if everything
else is provided for. It certainly does not require more than 2wpg.
Actually, I have found that the colors fade a little with stronger
lighting. This one is sitting in flourite with flourish tabs as the
only fertilizers used in the tank. Leaving it alone and letting the
roots develop over time is the best way to get it to grow well, this
one has been in this tank for about a year now and is close to
breaking the surface now, prior to that it was in a 55g with 80W of
lighting.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
www.gpodio.com

Gorgeous as usual.... keep it up...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike

is that better??

Old 28-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Acgelok

Here's a photo of an Ozelot flowering in my 90 gallon

I can only hope mine will look like that someday I use Jobes spikes for ferns
to fertilize, they do a good job on all my other plants Here's hoping they do
well on my new addition Ozelot
When asked I call my tanks underwater gardens with live exotic fertilizing
units (fish) Best of both worlds ? Regards ART