GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/59758-drastic-ph-drop-after-adding-dritftwood.html)

Squid 24-04-2004 09:04 AM

Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood

This morning I added two pieces of driftwood to my 20 Gallon tank that
already had another piece of driftwood in it. Before doing this my PH
was about 7.4 - after adding the additional driftwood almost instantly
my PH dropped to 6.2 and now seems to be hanging around 6.5 - is this
normal for driftwood to make such a big difference like this? Not that
i'm complaining, I just wasn't expecting much of a resutl :)

jefferson 24-04-2004 06:05 PM

Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood

What, may I ask, type of wood is it...love to find some too!
jefferson

Kenneth Ho 24-04-2004 06:06 PM

Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood

All of them acidify water, but usually very slowly. Are they very big, may I
ask?

Thanks
Kenneth

"jefferson" ???
???...

http://www.usenet.com

Squid 24-04-2004 06:06 PM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:38:43 GMT, jefferson wrote:

What, may I ask, type of wood is it...love to find some too!
jefferson

Just 3 pieces I have had for about 5 years now. I beleive they were
all purchased at a couple of LFS. They are pretty heavy and I remember
when first purchased that they didn't need much if any soaking for
sinking. 2 of the pieces are about 12 inches long and have very
brittle wood the other piece is a more smooth type of wood that
doesn't come apart much.

Squid 24-04-2004 06:06 PM

Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:11:41 +0800, "Kenneth Ho"

All of them acidify water, but usually very slowly. Are they very big, may I
ask?

All together inside the tank they stretch across both ends so I would
say about 24" long and about 8" tall and 8" wide.

I did soak the 2 last pieces (since they were in storage for so long)
in deionized water with some water conditioner for about 2 weeks. Not
sure if that had anything to do with it.

Dave Millman 26-04-2004 11:10 PM

Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood

The tannins in driftwood will usually lower the pH in a tank. This is
normal. Do not panic.