Old 26-04-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Plant Fest is back!

Back to nature plant fest.June 4-5-6th, Gainesville FL, 2004.
Ricky is working on the web site. Last year folks had a great time.
Note, the goal is of this is not viewing lots of aquariums, this is
seeing the plants growing naturally out in nature in a variety of
diverse ecosystems habitats.
There will plenty of chances to acquire plants, driftwood,
fish/critters and petrified rock.

Coming into JAX is perhaps the best method. Orlando is another and you
can drop the kids off at Disney or one of the many theme parks.

Careful driving down 301, speed traps. "Lead foot" Ricky found out the
hard way.
Motel 6 is cheap, clean and close to everything.Right off I-75.

Friday: will be a trip to the Ichetucknee river which is about a 6
mile trip down a clear hardwater spring full of plants(close to 20
species all told) in inner tubes, snorkel mask. It was owned by a
phosphate mine and the spring come right out of of the ground a few
meters away. It is a fun thing to do and you will see more plants than
you can shake a driftwood stick at(App 4hours). Even if you don't care
about plants, you'll have fun doing this. BBQ after the trip down(2
hours). Side trip to swim in head spring or see Blue Hole if there is
interest. Most will be pooped out. Stop over to Waldo for driftwood if
we are done somewhat early. I'll try and arrange something there so
Tom's is open. Meet over at my place to see a few tanks. Aquatropics
is the local fish store and we can wonder over there as they are open
till 9pm.

I might have a treat for you and have Bill Haller stop by and take us
up to the Aquatic Weed IFAS center also. Depends on his schedule.
Perhaps Dr Kane's tissue culture might also make it in there.

Sat: Rainbow river canoe trip. We will hopefully get canoes early at
the park, if not, we can get them at the county park downstream. I
will try to reserve several canoes. Visibility in the river is 200 ft.
Swimming, plants, fishing, collecting outside the park, I will try and
arrange a plant visit to see the Crypts there as I know the park
manager.We will head to the Lower Suwannee River from there and stop
off along the road for some 20-30 plants species and many good
examples of blackwater pools and streams. From there we will head to
Cedar Key for a nice dinner overlooking the sea.

Sun: Santa Fe river Canoe trip. After the freshwater sponge that grows
on Hydrilla, the freshwater pipe fish, water scorpians, blue fin
shiners, Madtom Catfish, FW flouders, southern darter, pygmae sunfish
and of course wood. Should be done around 2-4pm so folks can head
back. Or we can head to Ginnie springs and collect some the Ludwigia
there which is 11% genetically different than the Rainbow springs
Ludwigia(10% difference is generally considered and a different
species)
We will stop at a few springs along the river and road sides for plant
collecting.
Plants are free, most of the wood will be as well.
Petrified wood, some so big you cannot carry them.

Canoes run about 8-16$ per person and park fees are about 1 to 4$.
Hotel is about 29.99 per night. Donations for the 3 day guide are
appreciated.

I'll plan for about 20 people but if more come we will accommodate.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 26-04-2004, 09:06 PM
RedForeman ©®

Dang Tom.... I wanna come, but the warden has class..... Maybe I can work
that into the schedule... sounds like more fun than I've had in a while... I
gotta try it....

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Old 27-04-2004, 06:11 PM

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message ...
Dang Tom.... I wanna come, but the warden has class..... Maybe I can work
that into the schedule... sounds like more fun than I've had in a while... I
gotta try it....

You are welcomed to come. There's always a way and there's lot of
stuff fairly close by such as Disney or Busch Gardens etc.
Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 28-04-2004, 04:14 PM

I am going to bump the date back to June 25 when all the
GWAPA people will be in Gainesville. Then it will be a Plantfest of
epic proportions!

So the dates will be 25-27th of June.
Same deal, different dates.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 28-04-2004, 08:09 PM
RedForeman ©®

I am going to bump the date back to June 25 when all the
GWAPA people will be in Gainesville. Then it will be a Plantfest of
epic proportions!

So the dates will be 25-27th of June.
Same deal, different dates.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Good, now maybe I can work that in... hee heee... she'd probably love it
too....

Old 29-04-2004, 10:11 PM

Good, now maybe I can work that in... hee heee... she'd probably love it
too....

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike

Red, it's fun for the non plantie as well. We took 3 folks that were
not interested in plants and they had a good deal of fun also. You can
head down to Busch Gardens, Disney etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
RedForeman ©®

Good, now maybe I can work that in... hee heee... she'd probably
love it too....

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike

Red, it's fun for the non plantie as well. We took 3 folks that were
not interested in plants and they had a good deal of fun also. You can
head down to Busch Gardens, Disney etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

That's one thing I'm pushing for... Do this for me, I'll take you to Busch
Gardens... the plan is in the making....