Old 27-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Phil Williamson

Default Nutrafin CO2 system

Just bought a nutrafin CO2 system but I've noticed I can't get the bubbles
to go up the bubble counter properly, has anyone else had this problem?

How do you like your Nutrafin CO2 generator?

Phil..

Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Squid

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:42:14 -0400, "Phil Williamson"
wrote:

Just bought a nutrafin CO2 system but I've noticed I can't get the bubbles
to go up the bubble counter properly, has anyone else had this problem?

How do you like your Nutrafin CO2 generator?

Phil..

It takes about 2 days for the unit to work properly. Once the slime
coat builds up on the diffuser it will be in full working order.

I love mine.
Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Eric Schreiber

Phil Williamson wrote:

Just bought a nutrafin CO2 system but I've noticed I can't get the
bubbles to go up the bubble counter properly, has anyone else had
this problem? How do you like your Nutrafin CO2 generator?

It takes several days for the path to 'smooth out'. It either has some
material left over from the manufacturing process or needs a slime coat
to work properly, and that takes several days to happen.

Once it gets settled in, the Nutrafin diffuser does a great job. You
can actually see the bubbles get much smaller as they near the top, so
you know they're dissolving.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 27-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Phil Williamson

Must be, I just bought mine yesterday. How long did it take for you to
notice a difference in the plants?

Old 27-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Squid

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:08:32 -0400, "Phil Williamson"
wrote:

Must be, I just bought mine yesterday. How long did it take for you to
notice a difference in the plants?

I think it was about a week when I noticed the plants flaring up in
color and growing. It took about 3 days for the diffuser to really
start up though. I was getting a lot of larger bubbles backing up then
escaping the diffuser but now all the bubbles rise up through the
diffuser easily. Make sure that the tubing is placed into the notch
and it hasn't come loose though - mine did a few days ago and the
bubbles were escaping the diffuser.

Old 27-04-2004, 05:06 AM
mythicality

My Nutrafin has been working well (after a few days with bubble probs as
mentioned...) and my plants have really taken off. I found that after CO2,
my rate limiting step is Iron, so I have been adding a mix with Iron and
other minerals from flourish that seems to work well. The best part is that
since using CO2, my algea probs have really slowed down!

-cheers,

Myth

Old 27-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Phil Williamson

Good to hear, everything you describe is going on with my bubble counter
also. I'll just have to wait it out I suppose. I can't wait for the color
to really pick up in the tank, I've noticed some of them looking a little
brown.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Paul

I bought one too a month ago. I have a 200l tank and according to the sheet
I should have two but I thought I would see how I go with one. Haven't
noticed any huge difference in the plants yet. I am thinking of making
another one and allowing the bubbles to go into the intake of my Fluval 404.
I don't get 28 days out of a mix like the instructions say for the nutrafin
kit.. I get 14 days. I am going to try making my own mix up rather than
buying their pre-packaged mix kits.
Cheers,
Paul.
"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
Just bought a nutrafin CO2 system but I've noticed I can't get the bubbles
to go up the bubble counter properly, has anyone else had this problem?

How do you like your Nutrafin CO2 generator?

Phil..

---

Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Squid

On Sun, 2 May 2004 03:03:43 +1000, "Paul"
wrote:

I don't get 28 days out of a mix like the instructions say for the nutrafin
kit.. I get 14 days.

Maybe it has to do with only haveing one in a 200 Gal tank? Mine lasts
over 28 days.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Squid

wrote:

I don't get 28 days out of a mix like the instructions say for the nutrafin
kit.. I get 14 days.

Maybe it has to do with only haveing one in a 200 Gal tank? Mine lasts
over 28 days.

Woops, sorry I think I misread your post. I thought you wrote 200G but
it was 200L.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:05 PM
xtr396472

I make my own using the nutrafin system
I have had poor success with the pre package system
I use 80 grams sugar first mark 1/2 tsp yeast ad 1 tsp baking soda.
This gives me good co2 for a week then drops of. I use a long term co2
indicator. While this drops of quick after a week the plants are still
bubbling
Not sure if the yeast kills itself due to acid or runs out of sugar (have
not been game to give it the taste test
I should try and put 2 tsp of baking soda in
I have a 60 litre tank.
The size of tank has no effect on the speed of you reaction only the max
that can get into tank due to surface area and co2 releasing back to
atmosphere
I now use a reactor to diffuse CO2 so I could make it last longer some
bubbles were escaping.
Also made the mistake of slowing down filter to reduce surface turbulence
but got cynobacteria in the still parts of aquarium.
Its a fine balance that I am yet to find.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:10 PM
david

I don't get 28 days out of a mix like the instructions say for the
nutrafin
kit.. I get 14 days.

Maybe it has to do with only haveing one in a 200 Gal tank? Mine lasts
over 28 days.

Woops, sorry I think I misread your post. I thought you wrote 200G but
it was 200L.

size of tank cant make any diffrence to co2 bubbles, But the temp of the
room might.
the amount of co2 may not be enough for the tank ?

David

Old 03-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Paul

I have just mixed up a batch of yeast mix .... the pre-packaged
(premeasured?) mixes have run out. I measured the yeast and the bicarb in
the sachets. There was 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast and a half teaspoon of
bicarb. I have repeated that for this mix. I'll see if I get the same
results as with the sachets,will post my findings here. Just as a bit of
Background to those offering suggestions as to why my set-up is not
performing as well as The manufacturer claimed it would. (I appreciate any
input that anyone cares to give... I like to bounce ideas around in the
search for a solution to a problem) I live in the tropics, (Mackay
Queensland, Australia) not sure what the temp inside the house is but
according to the local Newspaper our temps yesterday were Max.25C (77F)
Min.14C(57F)
I doubt it would be too cold for the yeast to continue producing co2.... as
well as that I have the generator under the aquarium along with the ballasts
(2) for the flouro lighting systems. The cabinet has doors that are always
closed on the front but the back is open ...but only a couple of inches away
from the wall.
I am going to make a second generator out of a 12" length of 4"diameter pvc
pipe. Glue a cover on one end (the Bottom) and glue a screw on cover on to
the other end. There are pvc hose fittings available here. (not sure what
they are actually designed for) but they have one end that will take the
tubing that comes with the Nutrifin Co2 generator kit and a screw thread and
pvc nut on the other. I plan to drill a neat hole in the screw on PVC pipe
cover. Place a fibre washer on each side of the hole then seal it with the
pvc nut that is supplied with the fitting. I'll report in here how it goes
when I get around to building it.
I'll try and find out what the hose fitting is designed for as well.