Old 27-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Triffid Farmer

Default CO-2 injection into a canister filter.

I've set up a Yeast CO-2 system and have been toying with different ways of
diffusing the gas into the tank.
Last night I hooked the CO-2 line directly into the inlet of my canister
filter.
I was going to set up a powerhead and airstone as per a couple of websites
but thought that the canister filter method would do a better job.

It seems to totally pulverise the bubbles into the water and still run
silently.
I can't see any gas bubbles coming out the submerged filter spray bar so I'm
assuming that it's totally dilluting the gas.
As the filter is a totally closed system I also can't see anyway that the
gas could not be injected into the water.

Has anyone tried this method and or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 27-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Graham Ramsay

That's how I, and many others, do it.
I do get some bubbles out the other end though.

--
Graham Ramsay
Learn about the work of the JREF

"Triffid Farmer" wrote in

Old 27-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Rick

"Triffid Farmer" wrote in message
I've set up a Yeast CO-2 system and have been toying with different ways

of
diffusing the gas into the tank.
Last night I hooked the CO-2 line directly into the inlet of my canister
filter.
I was going to set up a powerhead and airstone as per a couple of websites
but thought that the canister filter method would do a better job.

It seems to totally pulverise the bubbles into the water and still run
silently.
I can't see any gas bubbles coming out the submerged filter spray bar so

I'm
assuming that it's totally dilluting the gas.
As the filter is a totally closed system I also can't see anyway that the
gas could not be injected into the water.

Has anyone tried this method and or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I run my CO2 line into the intake of my Fluval 404 and it works very well. I
use a pressurized system and do get purges of bubbles every now and again.
It depends on how dirty the media in my Fluval is as to the frequently of
the purging.

Rick

Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Dave M. Picklyk

Hi Triffid. I run the C02 directly into my intake pipes of my aquaclear
filter with no problems at all! Usually some C02 will be lost with the
tumultuous way the water is put back into the tank whether it's a waterfall
effect or a power head. Even with that downfall I usually get around 25 to
30ppm of C02 consistantly with DIY.

Dave.

Old 09-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Dave

I used to inject CO2 into my canister filter, but now use a Hagen
Natural Plant System diffuser. Hides easily behind some background
plants, no maintenance, works great in my heavily-planted 29g tank. I
can't say whether it would be adequate for larger tanks.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Rick

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I used to inject CO2 into my canister filter, but now use a Hagen
Natural Plant System diffuser. Hides easily behind some background
plants, no maintenance, works great in my heavily-planted 29g tank. I
can't say whether it would be adequate for larger tanks.

one of these units I believe is recommended for up to 20 g tank so for
larger tanks you would need multiple units. Lots of people simply buy the
diffusers and use DIY solutions.

Rick

Old 15-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Dave

"Rick" wrote in message ...
"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I used to inject CO2 into my canister filter, but now use a Hagen
Natural Plant System diffuser. Hides easily behind some background
plants, no maintenance, works great in my heavily-planted 29g tank. I
can't say whether it would be adequate for larger tanks.

one of these units I believe is recommended for up to 20 g tank so for
larger tanks you would need multiple units. Lots of people simply buy the
diffusers and use DIY solutions.

Yes, that's what I do. I use two 2-quart juice bottles with the
tubing connected to a "T", and change one out about every 3 weeks.
The diffuser does a great job.

CO2 injection into a Rena Filstar filter Matt C. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 05-01-2005 03:24 PM
Hagen Natural Plant System odor: / was CO-2 injection into a canister filter. Squid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 15-05-2004 05:09 PM
Airlock in Eheim Canister filter Simon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 03-12-2003 08:42 PM
cleaning canister filter Barry Ponds 6 11-09-2003 02:39 AM
CO2 into a canister filter Scott Rogahn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 26-04-2003 12:56 PM