Old 28-04-2004, 07:14 PM
NetMax

Default If you could order any plant..

Based on your previous recommendations for floating, foreground,
midground etc, I have very nicely stocked plant tanks (6 x 60gallons),
*my thanks to all those who helped me*, but now, my discerning customers
want more unusual stuff, so I'm back for more recommendations.

I come armed with 2 catalogues from trans-shippers, with a combined
listing of 1,968 tropical plants. There are some repetitions between the
2 companies but not as much as you might expect, and there are internal
repetitions as they can be listed as bulbs, potted, bunched or loose, so
I figure there are about 500 unique varieties available.

Did I mention I have an open account with these 2 suppliers ;~) If you
want some of the names, just ask and I'll do my best. For example, in
Anubius, they show:

=ANUBIUS=
1.barteri var. barteri
2.barteri var. oriental green
3.barteri var. coffefolia
4.barteri broad leaf
5.barteri broad leaf small
6.barteri variegated
7.barteri fan
8.barteri marble
9.congensis
10.congensis-emerge
11.heterophylla
12.gigantea
13.hastifolia
14.hastifolia-emerge
15.lanceolata
16.lanceolata-emerge
17.barteri var. nana
18.barteri var. nana-emerge
19.nana 'small' -emerge
20.nana 'wrinkled leaf'
21.nana 'wrinkled leaf small'
22.nana 'eyes'
23.nana 'marble small'
24.nana 'narrow leaf'
25.nana 'narrow leaf small'
26.nana 'round leaf'
27.nana 'round leaf small'
28.petite
29.Gabon
30.afzeli
31.gracilis

As feedback for your previous help, I had a customer come in with a
shopping list, which she had collected from the web. She left the store
with Anubius coffefolia, Echinidorous tennelus, Frogbit, Red Tiger Lotus,
Ulvaceous undulatous, Crypts, Java moss and ferns, and some Riccia
fluitans (almost all these items were recommended to me from here). She
was beaming and visibly restraining herself from doing a jig each time I
said "yes, I have those over here" ).

--
NetMax

Old 28-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Don Bosman

Money Trees.

I ask at every store and they are alwasys sold out or on back order.

Old 28-04-2004, 08:08 PM
RedForeman ©®

As feedback for your previous help, I had a customer come in with a
shopping list, which she had collected from the web. She left the
store with Anubius coffefolia, Echinidorous tennelus, Frogbit, Red
Tiger Lotus, Ulvaceous undulatous, Crypts, Java moss and ferns, and
some Riccia fluitans (almost all these items were recommended to me
from here). She was beaming and visibly restraining herself from
doing a jig each time I said "yes, I have those over here" ).

That's me... I get jiggy when I see something different... although, I'll
probably not do an irish jig when someone's watching... I wait until the get
around the corner first....hahaha..

One thing that usually gets me is the LFS will have the run of the mill
stuff, but when they get a nice rotala, or ludwig specimen, they've not a
clue how to keep it, 2 days later, it's junk.... I keep prying this one LFS
to let me setup their plant tank, and she's just not interested....

I'd like to see more reds, like rotala indica, etc... some sunset hygros....

FWIW, there's a guy , CS, that always posts with new plants etc... check out
his list and see if you can get them too... he's got alot of exotics...
never ordered any, but I did see the list once.. pretty nice, extensive
list...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Old 28-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Charles

Male Egeria densa.

I don't really want some, I just wonder if there is any in the
aquarium trade. All the plants I have are female, probably from a
clone of the first one I bought. I suppose most of the plants in at
least the US and Canada are parts of a clone imported, without
importation of different plants from their native area we all have the
same one.

Just thinking, never mind.

--

- Charles
-
Old 28-04-2004, 09:05 PM
RedForeman ©®

Male Egeria densa.

Male/Female plants matter??? I mean if you're REALLY needing a male plant..
how and why would it matter?? Honestly I'm only asking because I'm
curious... as to why?

Old 28-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Charles

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:01:38 -0400, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

Male Egeria densa.

Male/Female plants matter??? I mean if you're REALLY needing a male plant..
how and why would it matter?? Honestly I'm only asking because I'm
curious... as to why?

Just to have. No reason, just something that was on my mind. If I
only had stuff I really need, I wouldn't have nearly so much stuff.

:-)

--

- Charles
-
Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Cris

Coolest floating plant I've ever seen - Phyllanthus fluitans (Red
Root Floater).

Cris
Old 29-04-2004, 04:39 PM
NetMax

"Cris" wrote in message
s.com...
Coolest floating plant I've ever seen - Phyllanthus fluitans (Red
Root Floater).

Cris

On my list so far, I have
Lilaeopsis novazelandae and
Glossostigma elatinoides.

No Phyllanthus fluitans in my catalogue : (

As for male Egeria densa, my suppliers already think I'm a geek. No need
to reinforce the notion ;~)
--
http://www.netmax.tk/

Old 29-04-2004, 04:39 PM
RedForeman ©®

Male Egeria densa.

Male/Female plants matter??? I mean if you're REALLY needing a male
plant.. how and why would it matter?? Honestly I'm only asking
because I'm curious... as to why?

Just to have. No reason, just something that was on my mind. If I
only had stuff I really need, I wouldn't have nearly so much stuff.

:-)

Ok, I was just curious.... I have cloned plants before, and I've even
hybridized several plants, and I can identify a male female plant in my
garden, but not in my aquarium, and I never really put 2 and 2 together...

Old 29-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Howbout a Madascar Lace Plant? Its a real beaut!
That is all.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"NetMax" wrote in message
news
s.com...

Old 30-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Happy'Cam'per

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
Ok, I was just curious.... I have cloned plants before, and I've even
hybridized several plants,

Hey Red,

Can you share more info on the procedures involved on your above statement?
I love all this technical stuff, do you have access to a lab?........*Come
up to the lab, and see whats on the slab *
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
RedForeman ©®

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
Ok, I was just curious.... I have cloned plants before, and I've even
hybridized several plants,

Hey Red,

Can you share more info on the procedures involved on your above
statement? I love all this technical stuff, do you have access to a
lab?........*Come up to the lab, and see whats on the slab *

No lab, just a hobbyist/landscaper/gardener/ kinda guy...

I had some lillies that I was going to throw away... but a friend told me to
give them to him he wanted to experiment with them... So I took them to his
house where he had numerous other same plants... He took the plant I had,
and cross pollenated it with the others he had and 2 months later, brought
it back, but instead of it giving white blooms, they were blue... Ever seen
a blue lily?? Me neither...

He took several of the dogwoods I had and changed their colors, cut and
spliced their stems, started several babies from one, and now I've got a
whole row of pink/white red/white and red dogwoods... They normally come in
pink _ or _ white... rarely in pink and white... pink bud here, white bud
there, back and forth....

Old 02-05-2004, 05:08 AM
NetMax

Oh yeah, I love Madagascar Lace, I order it all the time. The weirdest
thing is the way it grows under different conditions. In soft water
1.3wpg = tall thin leaves, but in hard water 2.7wpg = low wide flat
leaves. I'm not certain how much the water hardness, higher pH and lower
CO2 comes into play. I've run lace under higher light soft water and
still gotten the traditional big leaves in the mid & upper levels.

I wish I could always get the lace to give me these wide low leaves. It
made a great canopy for small bottom-feeders and baby fish. I almost had
a complete community hanging out under the protection of the leaves.
It's neat to see them inches away from fish who would normally try to eat
them. It's too bad that there aren't more lace varieties available. New
plants by hybridization is an idea I could get behind, as soon as we are
finished exploring what naturally exists.

--
http://www.netmax.tk/

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message

Howbout a Madascar Lace Plant? Its a real beaut!
That is all.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

"NetMax" wrote in message
news
s.com...