Old 29-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Al Boswell

Default Help with Phosphate test kit

Hi
I am trying to measure the Phosphate levels in my tank. Using a Red Sea test
kit the level is about .1 while a Nutrafin (Hagen) measures about 5. Both
kits are about one month old. Which one should I believe?

Al

Old 01-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Graham Broadbridge

. ..

"Al Boswell" wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to measure the Phosphate levels in my tank. Using a Red Sea
test
kit the level is about .1 while a Nutrafin (Hagen) measures about 5.

Both
kits are about one month old. Which one should I believe?

Something is either wrong with the Hagen test kit, or perhaps it's been
contaminated with phosphate.

I'm not sure why anyone would think the Hagen test kit has problems specific
to Australia. I'm in Australia (Sydney) and I've had the Hagen kit tested
by a Pharmacist friend of mine in their lab, and the Hagen test kit is
accurate enough for hobby use.

Graham.

Old 01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Al Boswell

Graham
I think you are correct. The water sample used in the Nutrafin test must
have been contaminated. I have tested the water several times since my post
and both kits are in general agreement, my old eyes can't discern the subtle
color changes in the Nutrafin kit that well. Both kits seem to give results
suitable for my use.

Al
. ..