Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Banana Plant, aquatic or bog?

A friend called me and wants some banana plants... I told him to not do it,
but he was calling from the LFS, so when I told him no, I overheard the LFS
girl say, they're not a bog plant, they're aquatic, they'll be just fine...

I _did_ say they might be a bog plant, cuz everyone I've ever had, never
lived, CO2 or not... he doesn't have CO2, so I was going on the assumption
that it wouldn't last very long...

Am I correct in that assumption?

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Old 05-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:34:25 -0400, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

I _did_ say they might be a bog plant, cuz everyone I've ever had, never
lived, CO2 or not... he doesn't have CO2, so I was going on the assumption
that it wouldn't last very long...

They are definitely aquatic. And I've had them prosper just fine in
a non-CO2 injected tank. Don't allow the "banana" tubers to be
completely buried or they will rot.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I agree, I've had this guy in the tank for about 18 months now and has
had no problems at all:

http://www.gpodio.com/gallery/scene19.jpg

Tank is a 90 gallon, 1WPG, no CO2 and substrate as only source of
nutrients. Only thing however, the bananas despite not being burried
did drop off after about a year (found them floating around the tank).
Not sure if they are something that occurs when this plant is grown
emersed or other factors effect the growth and longevity of the
bananas. They show no signs of growing back but the plant is doing
well without them, although I can't really call it a banana plant
anymore :-)

Giancarlo Podio
Old 06-05-2004, 04:11 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| I agree, I've had this guy in the tank for about 18 months now and
|| has had no problems at all:
|| http://www.gpodio.com/gallery/scene19.jpg
|| Tank is a 90 gallon, 1WPG, no CO2 and substrate as only source of
|| nutrients. Only thing however, the bananas despite not being burried
|| did drop off after about a year (found them floating around the
|| tank). Not sure if they are something that occurs when this plant is
|| grown emersed or other factors effect the growth and longevity of the
|| bananas. They show no signs of growing back but the plant is doing
|| well without them, although I can't really call it a banana plant
|| anymore :-)
|| Giancarlo Podio

Ok, I'm intrigued.... Why do mine, and his, turn brown, lose it's leaves,
then never recover?? Maybe they are grown emersed, to be pretty, then
submersed and sold to LFS? I had one, never like the brownness it
acquired... He got one, it died a month later... he was getting another when
I asked... maybe he can try again later...

Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Moontanman

Banana plants grow wild in my area, the bananas are only seen on plants that
are free floating. When a plant finally gets rooted in the substrate it loses
it's bananas and grows into a water lilly. Some times the water lilly will give
off little banana plants from its leaves or roots I really don't remember
which. The floating banana plants can divide into many small plants. A great
many of the banana plants used to come from my area, they were collected from
the wild. Now most of the small ponds they grew in have been drained to build
houses. But I have seen the small ponds with hundreds if not thousands of
banana plants in them.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 13-05-2004, 06:03 PM
TKL

Mine grow to 2 ft height. Leave are big but only 4 leaves, survive well but
not really a nice plant. Wonder where to place it best, front, middle, back?

Banana plant Phil Long United Kingdom 11 05-12-2003 05:03 AM
Banana plant Phil Long United Kingdom 9 04-07-2003 12:44 AM
Banana plant Phil Long United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 01:48 PM
Banana plant CichlidGeek Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:21 AM
Unhappy Banana Plant Tim \(BBC\) United Kingdom 3 27-12-2002 05:03 PM