Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Victor Martinez

Default The Big MTS Migration

Of sorts... in the past two weeks hundreds and hundreds of itty-bitty
MTS have decided to leave the gravel and hang out on the walls of the
tank and even on the surface of the water. They are there all the time.
Any ideas what it might be?

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
coelacanth

Sounds like they're getting organized. You might
want to lock you bedroom door at night ;-)

-coelacanth

Old 10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Check your heater, possibly low oxygen.

--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 10-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Victor Martinez

Happy'Cam'per wrote:
Check your heater, possibly low oxygen.

Temperature is a steady 80F and the tank is heavily planted with plenty
of surface turbulence. That's probably not it.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 11-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Iain Miller

I'm almost inclined to say, they're hunting for food, being that mostly

they
are in substrate, and maybe after a good vacuuming, they've found no food,
so up the glass they go.... seems reasonable...

Indeed....next stop is the fridge...be afraid....be very afraid!!!

I.

Old 22-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Velvet

Iain Miller wrote:

I'm almost inclined to say, they're hunting for food, being that mostly

they

are in substrate, and maybe after a good vacuuming, they've found no food,
so up the glass they go.... seems reasonable...

Indeed....next stop is the fridge...be afraid....be very afraid!!!

I.

I've had this occasionally too, but it's been tied to filtration or heat
problems. Since you've ruled out the heat, are you sure your filter is
up to scratch? Low filter turnover (due to filter intake clogging) is a
sure-fire way to bring the MTS's out of the gravel and up the glass in
my tank, and the longer it continues the more and the higher they climb.
Even though your filter's doing a good surface ripple, has it clogged
and gone to bypass internally or something?

Doesn't seem food triggered in my tank (little gravel I can get to to
vacuum, too many plants LOL) since the gravel's full of whatever it is
they seem to munch (try not to think about that too hard given the gunk
that's in there).

Temp too high (29+C seems to provoke it) / O2 too low / sub-standard
filtration in my experience. Is yours tied to tank maint cycles (after
you've done filter maint, for example)?

--

Velvet
Old 22-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Victor Martinez

Velvet wrote:
problems. Since you've ruled out the heat, are you sure your filter is
up to scratch? Low filter turnover (due to filter intake clogging) is a

Should be. The pre-filter intake gets cleaned regularly, and since I
have good flow I doubt there's a clog inside the canister.

filtration in my experience. Is yours tied to tank maint cycles (after
you've done filter maint, for example)?

Nope, but it's diminished significantly lately. Perhaps it is a seasonal
thing like another poster suggested.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 22-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Cichlidiot

Velvet wrote:
Doesn't seem food triggered in my tank (little gravel I can get to to
vacuum, too many plants LOL) since the gravel's full of whatever it is
they seem to munch (try not to think about that too hard given the gunk
that's in there).

Fry food will trigger the MTS to go up my glass, all concentrating where
the filter flow would make any food particles in the water hit the glass.
They don't seem to do it with normal flake food though.