Old 17-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Commander Vimes

Default Carbon Filters in planted tanks

hi there,

I have just purchased a Jewul aquarium, which comes with a carbon
filter pad as standard. I have read elsewhere that carbon filters
might remove any plnat food that I put in the tank. Is this the case?
If so, any advice on what to do in terms of replacement filter media
would be appreciated,

many thanks,

Vimes
Old 19-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Carbon filters remove alot of the trace elements in the water that plants
need. Just buy another foam insert to replace the carbon filter insert. I
have an aquaclear filter with two foam inserts and they work great and my
water is crystal clear. Your plants, once established, will quickly start
absorbing/using the ammonias and nitrites that often are detrimental to fish
health. Make sure you have quite a few plants in the water to jump start
their competition over algae proliferation.

Dave.

Old 29-05-2004, 10:04 AM
TwoBells

I have the FLUVAL 304, the last level in the filter consists of two sections
for charcoal, I've used it for ages with no problems, and its kept the
'green' smell and ammonia/nitrates way down, however, my plants always seem
spindly and weak, I have purchased a SOCHTING carbonator to help but it
seems that I may have to remove the carbon filters entirely.

Is there anything I can do to keep the charcoal sections yet still have
flourishing plants?

Steve Page

Old 30-05-2004, 08:06 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

In an established (cycled) tank you probably shouldn't have to worry about
ammonia/nitrites...especially if you have lots of plants to deal with that.
Weak and spindly plants could probably be related to insufficient lighting.
Stem plants will have longer sections of stem between leaf nodes and try to
reach the surface of the water to get closer to the light source (with low
light). 2-4 watts per gallon, C02 and trace & macro nutrient addition is
neccessary for more lush plant growth or demanding plants.

Dave.