GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lead weights for plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/61633-lead-weights-plants.html)

RedForeman ©® 18-05-2004 03:17 PM

Lead weights for plants

I have a lead melter/burner device that melts about a US pound of lead at a
time. I'd like to find out how to make a mold to shape it in.

My current ideas are, using 1"x1" wood, and fastening it to make a series of
steps, X's or triangular shaped ridges /\/\/\/\/\ in some fashion, cap on
both ends, and pour the lead into the valleys, and cool, extract, lay on
sheet of "_____________" to resist sticking, and heat in oven till a temp
that allows the metal to be mallable. Use rolling pin to flatten, and
orient them to the same size, cut off the ends, and shape as needed...

As you can see, I've got the idea worked out but need the blank filled in..
Also, if you can help make the mold, or improve upon it, I'll make some
strips for you too... btw, I've got 40lbs of lead...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

GloFish 18-05-2004 03:17 PM

Lead weights for plants

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:28:12 -0400, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

I have a lead melter/burner device that melts about a US pound of lead at a
time. I'd like to find out how to make a mold to shape it in.

My current ideas are, using 1"x1" wood, and fastening it to make a series of
steps, X's or triangular shaped ridges /\/\/\/\/\ in some fashion, cap on
both ends, and pour the lead into the valleys, and cool, extract, lay on
sheet of "_____________" to resist sticking, and heat in oven till a temp
that allows the metal to be mallable. Use rolling pin to flatten, and
orient them to the same size, cut off the ends, and shape as needed...

As you can see, I've got the idea worked out but need the blank filled in..
Also, if you can help make the mold, or improve upon it, I'll make some
strips for you too... btw, I've got 40lbs of lead...

Marble butting board.... or granite..... in the pastry kitchen we use
a large piece of granite about an inch thick to cool cooked sugar and
chocolate....

The lead shouldn't stick, and often can get leftovers from local
quarries or cabinet makers.... those kitchen counters do break on
occasion....

As for the mold.... I used to do this long long ago for wishing
weights - lead strips, just like we use for plants... I used sand,
although all I did was pour it flat and cut the strips out using a
razor knife and a T-square.

hope that inspires something useful.

--Tony

RedForeman ©® 18-05-2004 07:24 PM

Lead weights for plants

|| Isn`t the lead a poison?

This is a lead that is used in muzzleloading. I believe it to be a lead tin
alloy....

From this page http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/pb.html

The 7 elements classified as "other metals" are located in groups 13,
14, and 15. While these elements are ductile and malleable, they are not the
same as the transition elements. These elements, unlike the transition
elements, do not exhibit variable oxidation states, and their valence
electrons are only present in their outer shell. All of these elements are
solid, have a relatively high density, and are opaque. They have oxidation
numbers of +3, ±4, and -3.

The "Other Metals" a
a.. Aluminum
b.. Gallium
c.. Indium
d.. Tin
e.. Thallium
f.. Lead
g.. Bismuth

RedForeman ©® 18-05-2004 07:24 PM

Lead weights for plants

|| I have a lead melter/burner device that melts about a US pound of
|| lead at a time. I'd like to find out how to make a mold to shape it
|| in.

I think I've found my mold... If this works, I'll make enough for the whole
group, for cost of shipping 50 or so.... we'll find a way to make it
work...

Sir Douglas Cook 19-05-2004 03:08 AM

Lead weights for plants

I am just guessing but I would use a cast iron pot to
melt the lead in. And I would try:

First!!!!!!!
Plaster of Paris.
First make a master of what you want in wax.
Then make a copy using plaster of Paris.
Then pour lead into your plaster mold.
Note: If your end product has and odd shape you
won't feel bad about breaking the plaster mold away.
Although, I have used plastic dividers in the making
of the mold and when it dries I remove the plastic dividers
and use rubber (inner tube for bike tires, cut in strips)
I use plaster of Paris in this manner to make plaster
sand castles...

Second!!!!!!!!
I worked in a foundry,,, making large electrical brass equipment found in
high voltage boxes.
First we would use a sand that was mixed with
(I would guess, oil) until it would clump together when
squeezed in your hand under pressure. Not unlike
checking the soil in your garden.
The sand was put into these buckets and made level with the top edge by
dragging a stick across the top.
Then you would take your master and press it into the sand mix and remove
it, making a mold. And later pouring the lead, or brass.
A more complex mold was made by using dividers and straws were added to the
master as pouring spouts.
If you need more information I would be more than
happy to converse with you. If you don't mind my spelling..

I hope this helps

--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

Dinky 19-05-2004 02:14 PM

Lead weights for plants

"Crusader" wrote in message
| Isn`t the lead a poison?

This topic has been gone through pretty heavily here, and the
concensus generally reached is that it doesn't break down in
freshwater at a high enough rate to cause a problem. But Red should
avoid eating the lead during his project.g

Sir Douglas Cook 19-05-2004 03:07 PM

Lead weights for plants

|| Isn`t the lead a poison?

This is a lead that is used in muzzleloading. I believe it to be a lead tin
alloy....

So when you get shot in the head,,,
"It isn't the poison that kills ya!"

I thought is was funny... sorry.. I must be getting tired.

--

From this page http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/pb.html

Sir Douglas Cook 19-05-2004 03:08 PM

Lead weights for plants

That is true, some added information on lead.
Some Stain Glass workers use gloves as
the lead can be absorbed through the skin.

--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

"Dinky" wrote in message
k.net...

Charles Spitzer 19-05-2004 05:10 PM

Lead weights for plants

lead is absorbed via breathing or ingestion. it isn't absorbed through the
skin unless you have a break in the skin.

"Sir Douglas Cook" wrote in message
. ..
That is true, some added information on lead.
Some Stain Glass workers use gloves as
the lead can be absorbed through the skin.

--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

"Dinky" wrote in message
k.net...

skozzy 19-05-2004 10:09 PM

Lead weights for plants

If you want thin flat strips then pour the lead onto a marble surface, as
it's cooling run a roller over it, once set then use a guillotine to cut it.

Otherwise you use aluminium. Making sinkers for fishing is done with
aluminium molds.

Sir Douglas Cook 19-05-2004 10:09 PM

Lead weights for plants

Sorry, but it is a fact that lead is absorbed through unbroken skin.
In the same manner as a patch for smoking.

Although, I don't have a wimis data sheet on me.

--

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
lead is absorbed via breathing or ingestion. it isn't absorbed through the
skin unless you have a break in the skin.

"Sir Douglas Cook" wrote in message
. ..
That is true, some added information on lead.
Some Stain Glass workers use gloves as
the lead can be absorbed through the skin.

--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

"Dinky" wrote in message
k.net...

Charles Spitzer 19-05-2004 10:10 PM

Lead weights for plants

references? i work in the stained glass industry. it's pretty commonly known
that almost all lead is ingested or inhaled. osha doesn't require gloves
when working with lead, although they do require, in certain cases,
respirators.

in actuality, the only reference to skin in the osha regulation is because
of possible skin irritation and not absorption.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...RDS&p_id=10030

[...]

"Dinky" wrote in message
k.net...

The Outcaste 19-05-2004 11:14 PM

Lead weights for plants

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:38:07 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
bubbled forth the following:

references? i work in the stained glass industry. it's pretty commonly known
that almost all lead is ingested or inhaled. osha doesn't require gloves
when working with lead, although they do require, in certain cases,
respirators.

in actuality, the only reference to skin in the osha regulation is because
of possible skin irritation and not absorption.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...RDS&p_id=10030

From http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/lead/

"Most exposures occur with inorganic lead. Organic (tetraethyl and
tetramethyl) lead, which was added to gasoline up until the late
1970s, is not commonly encountered. Organic forms may be absorbed
through the skin, while inorganic forms cannot."

However the ERP says recent research indicates that inorganic lead may
be absorbed thru the skin. They do not list references though.

See this page under Dermal Absorption:
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/leadsafe/leadinf3.htm

Further, this article from the "Journal of the Australasian College of
Nutritional & Environmental Medicine, Vol. 15, No. 2, December 1996,
pages 11-12." shows that inorganic lead can be absorbed through the
skin, and even worse, lead absorbed this way may not show up in the
blood:
"By applying solutions of the stable lead isotope Pb-204 to the skin
of volunteers and measuring the increase in Pb-204 in blood, we were
able to show that skin-absorbed lead has a very short residence time
in blood3. The ability of lead salts to enter the body through the
skin without significantly raising blood lead has important
implications for occupational health control, because measurement of
lead in blood is the prime technique for monitoring lead exposure.
Surveys of workers in lead industries such as lead battery manufacture
showed that many of them had very high levels of lead in sweat, even
those who had retired or who had been away on leave for several
weeks1. Workers in lead industries often wear masks to avoid
inhalation of lead, but rarely have skin protection. Some lead battery
workers have their skin covered with a layer of finely powdered
lead/metal oxide1. Both lead metal and lead oxide were found to
dissolve in sweat and pass through the skin1-3."

The full article is he
http://www.acnem.org/journal/15-2_de...on_of_lead.htm

I always thought the main danger from handling lead is that particles
that adhere to the skin may be ingested or inhaled by touching the
mouth or nose, or via transfer to a cigarette, then inhaled. Looks
like we may have to re-think that.

HTH

Jerry

NetMax 20-05-2004 02:05 AM

Lead weights for plants

I think he has a supply of lead-tin alloy and an interest in utilizing
it. If all he really needed was lead weight for plants, I'd send him
some. I buy it in 10 lb spools and give it away at work. Making your
own sounds like much more fun ;~)
--
www.NetMax.tk