Old 19-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Moontanman

Default medium chain swords

There used to be a medium sized chain sword plant. Just about right for a back
round plant in a small aquarium like a 15 or 20 gallon. I haven't seen any in a
long time. All I see are the pygmy swords. Does anyone have any of this plant?
I am also having trouble finding the swords with the long strap like leaves
about 3" inches wide. All the swords sold now have long stems with a large oval
shaped leaf at the top. Are all the long swords that the leaf starts at the
bottom of the stem not in circulation anymore?

Moon

I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 23-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Jesse Joe

In article ,
ospam (Moontanman) wrote:

There used to be a medium sized chain sword plant. Just about right for a
back
round plant in a small aquarium like a 15 or 20 gallon. I haven't seen any in
long time. All I see are the pygmy swords. Does anyone have any of this
plant?
I am also having trouble finding the swords with the long strap like leaves
about 3" inches wide. All the swords sold now have long stems with a large
oval
shaped leaf at the top. Are all the long swords that the leaf starts at the
bottom of the stem not in circulation anymore?

Moon

Get ready to laugh: Petsmart. Okay, actually any pet store which is
serviced by Segrest ought to do the trick.

(Yes. I currently work at a Petsmart. However, this is not a plug,
simply a matter of stating what I've seen while doing the daily grind.)

If you have access to a PM that sells "assorted swords", look through
them, or have an employee look for you. About 3/4 of the plants in there
are Amazon swords, the rest Brazil or Radican, but about 1 week in 4,
the shipment comes in with two or three of the sword plants with leaves
like you describe. However, they are usually in bad condition: the
leaves rather brown, frayed around the edges, etc. I don't know if they
come in too far gone to rescue or what.

On the matter of chain swords, I picked up a potted one, same place ( at
work :-P ) that is already about 6" tall. I'm not sure if it's a pygmy,
a medium-sized, or what, (not well-labeled at all) but if you're there
poking at the swords then it's worth a peek at the plant pots too.

HTH,
jessejoe