GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/62277-read-lots-how-start-planted-tank-but-still-confused-please-help.html)

Sarah 27-05-2004 04:09 AM

Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help

Ok, I've had a few aquariums for over a year now, so I think I'm ready
to start my first planted tank. I've been reading everything I can
get my hands on and have asked questions at the LFS, but now I'm
overloaded with info.

I have the following plans on how to start but I need your input so
that I know I'm on the right track. I have a 25 gallon tall tank -
12" x 24" x 16"

I figure I'll start with a mixture of flourite and black gravel about
2-3 inches high. I want to use sand but I've heard conflicting
commentary that sea sand will throw things off and the sand I have in
my ciclid tank is designed for African ciclids so that LFS said I
shouldn't use it for live plants.

I was going to start with a small CO2 canister that they LFS suggested
(retails there for about $35 - don't remember the name) and a dual
flourescent light hood. The room the tank will be in does not have a
lot of stron ambient light so most of the light will come from the
hood.

I still need to research plants, but I'm thinking that I'm best going
with plants with low to medium light requirements. I haven't even
though abotu fish yet - although I know it'll be a community tank.

What else do I need? What should I fix?

RedForeman ©® 27-05-2004 03:20 PM

Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help

|| Ok, I've had a few aquariums for over a year now, so I think I'm
|| ready to start my first planted tank. I've been reading everything
|| I can get my hands on and have asked questions at the LFS, but now
|| I'm overloaded with info.

Then this is the best place you could be...

|| I have the following plans on how to start but I need your input so
|| that I know I'm on the right track. I have a 25 gallon tall tank -
|| 12" x 24" x 16"
|| I figure I'll start with a mixture of flourite and black gravel about
|| 2-3 inches high. I want to use sand but I've heard conflicting
|| commentary that sea sand will throw things off and the sand I have in
|| my ciclid tank is designed for African ciclids so that LFS said I
|| shouldn't use it for live plants.

Sand is ok, but it's tricky... Should only use sand after you've mastered
the uses of substrate, and understand all that could go wrong with sand....
Suggestion would be to wait until you've learned a bit more 'about sand'....

|| I was going to start with a small CO2 canister that they LFS
|| suggested (retails there for about $35 - don't remember the name)
|| and a dual flourescent light hood. The room the tank will be in
|| does not have a lot of stron ambient light so most of the light will
|| come from the hood.

Is this a pressurized co2, or the yeast water mixture?

For lights, start with 1.5WPG, figured by total watts divided by gallons.

|| I still need to research plants, but I'm thinking that I'm best going
|| with plants with low to medium light requirements. I haven't even
|| though abotu fish yet - although I know it'll be a community tank.
|| What else do I need? What should I fix?

From there, start out with some low light plants, java ferns, anubias,
crypts, and your success rate will climb...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Cris 27-05-2004 08:14 PM

Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help

On 26 May 2004 18:27:50 -0700, (Sarah)
wrote:

|| I have the following plans on how to start but I need your input so
|| that I know I'm on the right track. I have a 25 gallon tall tank -
|| 12" x 24" x 16"
|| I figure I'll start with a mixture of flourite and black gravel about
|| 2-3 inches high.

Skip the black gravel. It has no nutritional value for the plants.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 "RedForeman ©®" wrote:

For lights, start with 1.5WPG, figured by total watts divided by gallons.

Or 2 wpg since it's a deep tank.

From there, start out with some low light plants, java ferns, anubias,
crypts, and your success rate will climb...

I'll add to the list. Ambulia, sword plants, valisneria, watersprite,
anacharis, pennywort, maybe even tiger lotus.

Phil Williamson 27-05-2004 10:23 PM

Read lots on how to start planted tank but still confused - please help

How long do you plan on keeping the lights on per day? Which bulbs did you
choose for your new planted tank?

om...