Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Victor Martinez

Default Fish recommendation

Hi. I'm looking for recommendations for a few small fish for the
following tank. It's a 20g long with an eclipse hood, heavily planted
with fluorite substrate. It currently houses lots of amano and cherry
shrimp, zillions of MTS and a couple of small Botia kubotai (I think
they're still there, haven't seen them in a while).
I've had really bad luck with Melanotaenia praecox in that tank, all the
rainbows in my other tank thrive, but they just go belly up in this one.
I was thinking of tetras, but I'm not sure if they'd be ok with the
turbulence that the eclipse hood generates. The hood fits a 30g tank and
it has a pump to match, so it's a bit overpowered for a 20g long. Shimp
seem the like the current though... taking trips around the tank like in
a roller-coaster.
Any advise would be most appreciated. Colorful fish would be a plus.
Nothing that would eat my shrimp of course.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
NetMax

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Hi. I'm looking for recommendations for a few small fish for the
following tank. It's a 20g long with an eclipse hood, heavily planted
with fluorite substrate. It currently houses lots of amano and cherry
shrimp, zillions of MTS and a couple of small Botia kubotai (I think
they're still there, haven't seen them in a while).

Clown loaches? They names are all changing *again*.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...m.php?news=310

I've had really bad luck with Melanotaenia praecox in that tank, all

the
rainbows in my other tank thrive, but they just go belly up in this

one.
I was thinking of tetras, but I'm not sure if they'd be ok with the
turbulence that the eclipse hood generates. The hood fits a 30g tank

and
it has a pump to match, so it's a bit overpowered for a 20g long. Shimp
seem the like the current though... taking trips around the tank like

in
a roller-coaster.
Any advise would be most appreciated. Colorful fish would be a plus.
Nothing that would eat my shrimp of course.

I'd of thought that your vegetation would have dispersed the turbulence a
lot. Have you ever had Killifish? There are lots of very colourful
characters there. Not as colourful but having lots of animation are the
featherfin rainbows (Werneri?). Silvertip tetras would be ok in stronger
currents. Many gouramis would work well in there, Croaking, Dwarf,
Licorice, Dwarf, but colouration varies (by species, sex and condition).
Serpae tetras are also quite animated and contrast planted tanks nicely
(as do Cardinals & Neons). I recently aquired some dwarf ID sharks.
This might be an interesting 20g long fish. I don't see any of these
going after your shrimps. Then there are the Apistos, very entertaining,
Agassizi, Cacatoides, Rams etc. There is just too many choices ;~)
--
www.NetMax.tk

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Victor Martinez

NetMax wrote:
Clown loaches? They names are all changing *again*.

No, Botia kubotai is the "new" name given to the commonly named
angelicus or burmese loach:
http://www.loaches.com/species_pages...p_myanmar.html

I'd of thought that your vegetation would have dispersed the turbulence a
lot.

The problem is the surface. I don't have any floating plants because the
hood only has about 28W worth of power.

Have you ever had Killifish? There are lots of very colourful
characters there. Not as colourful but having lots of animation are the

I haven't had those, I'll check them out.

featherfin rainbows (Werneri?). Silvertip tetras would be ok in stronger

According to my LFS, featherfin are hard to keep in our water, I haven't
had luck with them either.

Serpae tetras are also quite animated and contrast planted tanks nicely
(as do Cardinals & Neons). I recently aquired some dwarf ID sharks.

Hmmm... I do like cardinal tetras, how big do the dwarf ID sharks get?

This might be an interesting 20g long fish. I don't see any of these
going after your shrimps. Then there are the Apistos, very entertaining,
Agassizi, Cacatoides, Rams etc. There is just too many choices ;~)

Ok, now I have to go do some more homework before making a decision. Thanks!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 06-06-2004, 12:22 AM
NetMax

NetMax wrote:
[...]

On featherfins, I understand that they are hardwater fish, but in my
shop, circumstances have placed them in both hardwater and in very soft
acidic water with my Chocolate gouramis. Very limited observations, but
I haven't noticed any significant difference in development.

On dwarf ID sharks, I itching to find out but I don't even have a
sci.name for them.
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old 09-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Chuck Gadd

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:02:41 -0400, "NetMax"
wrote:

On featherfins, I understand that they are hardwater fish, but in my
shop, circumstances have placed them in both hardwater and in very soft

Most rainbows can deal with any "normal" freshwater conditions. Their
natural habitat changes drastically during the normal seasons. Their
water goes from very soft during rainy seasons, to very hard during
the long dry spells.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua