Old 09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
cabaloz

Default NITRATES AND PLANT FERTS.

I set up a CO2 system using yeast and sugar a few weeks back and to date
have noticed some pretty good growth in the plants.
N03 has consistently been 5 mg/l.
Over the weekend, I bought some liquid fertiliser called "Aquasonic Natural
Home Chelated Iron Formulation For Aquatic Plants" and added this to the
water after doing the weekly maint. and the usual 30% water change.
I checked the N03 yesterday and was surprised to see that it was in the
range of 20 mg/l.My immediate thoughts were that it was the fert. that was
to blame.
There is nothing on the label to indicate the breakdown of nutrients in the
product apart from a statement saying that it contains no phosphates, so I'm
not even certain that it is a true fertilser in the sense that it contains
the typical N P K ratio found in garden fertilisers.
Has anyone had any experience with the product and do you think the N03
spike is due to the addition of the fertiliser?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Bob

"Aquasonic Natural
Home Chelated Iron Formulation For Aquatic Plants"

their phone number is +61 2 6586 4933
I suggest you ask them

it didn't say on their website, but I doubt the product has nitrates in it
in a significant amount.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Happy'Cam'per

You have a trace mixture (Micro nutrient). If it says theres no Phosphates
(Macro) then I doubt they'd add Nitrates (Macro) either. This is not your
problem. Hows your fish load? Phone up the water company and ask for a water
quality report. If the N rose after the water change then this may be your
problem. This will be great for your planted tank!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**