GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   another algae question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/64653-another-algae-question.html)

Keng 15-06-2004 05:08 PM

another algae question

Hello all

I have been battling this algae for some time now. It is a grean coat
that covers everything including the sand. Its comes off relatively
easy and I have been picking at it every few days to keep as much of
it off the plants as possible.

Any ideas on what kind of algae this is and how do I get rid of it. I
bought a UV sterilizer which will hopefully help. If not I need an
alternative plan.

Please help!!!

[email protected] 16-06-2004 03:05 AM

another algae question

(Keng) wrote in message . com...
Hello all

I have been battling this algae for some time now. It is a grean coat
that covers everything including the sand. Its comes off relatively
easy and I have been picking at it every few days to keep as much of
it off the plants as possible.

Any ideas on what kind of algae this is and how do I get rid of it. I
bought a UV sterilizer which will hopefully help. If not I need an
alternative plan.

Please help!!!

See "BGA algae" or "Cyanobacteria" and "blackout" for cure and
prevention over the long term.
This sounds like what you have.

UV's are useful for the rare but frustrating green water, but besides
that, they are of little use for planted tanks.

Blackout works the best of all the treatments for BGA to kill what's
there that I have tried. It's been 100% effective, it cost nothing.

Why folks still suggest antibiotics is plumb crazy.

Remove what's there, clean tank, filter, prune, do a 50% water change
after you have done these things. Turn off lights, CO2(if you use it)
and cover with trashbags/towles etc so that no light at all gets
in.Add 1/4 teaspoon KNO3 per 20 gal. Remove after 3 days, turn on
lights, CO2 and make sure to change water regularly, have enough NO3
and clean the filter more often. Then it does not come back which is
the real issue, not just killing what's there. Other treatments do not
address that issue, folks will tell you what kills it, which are many
things, but dealing with keeping it away thereafter is the real
problem and should be included in any dealings with algae. It's not
about killing algae, it's about growing the plants. When the plants
grow well, you don't have algae blooms.

H2O2 spot treatments will work but they do nothing for the larger
problem. So do most strong oxidizers like bleach, potassium
permangnate etc.
Removal and trimming will get rid of most algae problems or blackout
or filtration(UV, micron, diatom), from there it's a matter of giving
the plants what they need to grow well.

I think many people believe that H2O2, Algae cures alls/snake oils,
dips etc will solve their problems and get them over this "temporary
hump". I don't think they do at all.

It side steps the real issue.

Folks worry about killing algae more than the real issue, growing
plants well. Till they realize that, often they go through a series of
battles with algae and trying to do these big cleanings and have algae
killing issues every week/month /few months and the plants still don't
look as good as it could.

This also solves a great many "picky plant" issues as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Paul O. 16-06-2004 05:06 AM

another algae question

See "BGA algae" or "Cyanobacteria" and "blackout" for cure and
prevention over the long term.
This sounds like what you have.

Why folks still suggest antibiotics is plumb crazy.

I think many people believe that H2O2, Algae cures alls/snake oils,
dips etc will solve their problems and get them over this "temporary
hump". I don't think they do at all.

It side steps the real issue.

Folks worry about killing algae more than the real issue, growing
plants well. Till they realize that, often they go through a series of
battles with algae and trying to do these big cleanings and have algae
killing issues every week/month /few months and the plants still don't
look as good as it could.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Lots of snipping:

I gotta say, right on Tom. Hope Keng heeds your advice. I found out from my
own experience and reading this group how to deal with algae. Around the
first of the year I got a new tank and switched over from the old one. I
knew that I was going to have an algae problem for a while. Sure enough I
did, the terrible black stuff was doing quite well, but I didn't panic. I
ordered a lot of fast growing plants got them in and knew it was going to be
a while before they got settled and growing good. So for a couple of months
I just played with fertilization amounts, timing of the lights, and co2
adjustments. All of a sudden it all came together and it seemed like
overnite the black algae was gone, and the plants were growing like
gangbusters. I still have a little green tufty algae but it is under control
and it doesn't bother me. All you need to do is be patient and get all the
necessary ingreidents right and forget about the chemicals and junk to put
in your tank.
--
Paul O.

Iain Miller 16-06-2004 02:04 PM

another algae question

" wrote in message
om...
(Keng) wrote in message

[...]

I do agree with what you are saying regarding pretty much all forms of
Algae - grow good plants to eliminate Algae - a good clean up crew & some
SAEs help as well.

With regard to BGA, as you probably know (but the OP may not) its not
actually an Algae but a form of bacteria. There also seem to be many
diferent schools of thought as to what causes it & how to kill it. I had a
dose of it recently & I tried the blackout with some success although not
total. I ended up using some Maracyn (3/4 dose for 3 days instead of 5) in
desparation and, credit where credit is due, it definitly works.

rgds

I.