Old 16-06-2004, 12:08 AM
cabaloz

Default PROPAGATION OF AMAZON SWORD

I have a flourishing echinodorus osiris which produces a new leaf every 4-5
days. My understanding is that these plants can get quite large, although at
present the leaves are probably around 10-12 cm in length.
Do these plants flower readily or is there a method to induce flowering?

Old 16-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Iain Miller

"cabaloz" wrote in message
I have a flourishing echinodorus osiris which produces a new leaf every

4-5
days. My understanding is that these plants can get quite large, although

at
present the leaves are probably around 10-12 cm in length.
Do these plants flower readily or is there a method to induce flowering?

Npt sure of the exact variety you have but all the Amazons I have/have had
all do the same thing. They need to get to a fair old size & then they'll
shoot out a long stem to the surface with a flower on the end. Baby plants
then appear along the length of this stem (maybe 2 or 3 at a time). Once the
new plants shoot leaves that are 2 or three inches long I remove the stem &
take the small plants off & replant. Once the Mother plant starts doing this
they just seem to carry on at fairly regular intervals.

I don't do anything special to encourage this it just happens.

I.

Old 17-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Dances With Ferrets

Good advice from Ian.... also make sure that the plant is getting
appropriate lighting along with proper nutrients, possibly via a good
aquatic plant fertilizer.... Some Swords can be cultivated more
easily by growing them as marginals (half or mostly out of the water
with constant heavy moisture in the root zone) I have a red melon
sword that has been reproducing profusely for the last couple years
using this method. If you want more details on this, post again.
Old 17-06-2004, 10:06 PM
cabaloz

The sword is a red melon sword. Lighting is not too bad (around 1.5 watts
per gallon), I use the yeast and sugar setup for CO2 injection, fertiliser
tabs pushed into the substrate at the swords roots and also a trace element
mixture containing iron which is topped up at water changes.
My biggest worry is that the plant will need to attain a decent size before
it reproduces and if that's the case, I'll need to remove it before it takes
over the tank.

Old 19-10-2004, 02:18 PM
www.Fish-Forums.com

You can do this either way.
Usually i let them get some nice roots and then cut them off of the
stem and plant them.
Either way will work though just make sure they are not really tiny or
they may not do as well.

Marc
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______
Want to win a FREE new co2 system or a lighting system check out our
forum for our newest contest coming up

http://www.fish-forums.com

Http://www.aquatic-store.com

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:16:18 -0400, "Animal"
wrote:

I have a large Amazon(unknown species,but very common in the stores).It has
put out a large stem that has developed some plants on it.Some are above the
water some below.Should I anchor the plantlets,or let them stay above
water.And when can I separate the small plants.
T.I.A.

Old 19-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Seb

wrote:

I have a large Amazon(unknown species,but very common in the stores).It has
put out a large stem that has developed some plants on it.Some are above the
water some below.Should I anchor the plantlets,or let them stay above
water.And when can I separate the small plants.
T.I.A.

From one of my books, recommended size as bare minumum is 1/3 of parent
plant, 1/2 apparently gives you much better results.

Seb
Old 19-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Bob Alston

By that rule of thumb, I would have to wait a long time for the plantlets to
get big enough. The "mother" sword plant I had that flowered took up over
1/2 of my 55 gallon tank! So even 1/3 of that sixe is ... large.

I agree with the earlier post - 3-4 leaves and several roots. Both are key
to survival. More than that is even better.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

wrote:

I have a large Amazon(unknown species,but very common in the stores).It
has put out a large stem that has developed some plants on it.Some are
above the water some below.Should I anchor the plantlets,or let them stay
above water.And when can I separate the small plants.
T.I.A.

From one of my books, recommended size as bare minumum is 1/3 of parent
plant, 1/2 apparently gives you much better results.

Seb

---