Old 28-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default bites found on plants? Who did it?

Hi! Recently I've been noticing bites about a 1/8 inch wide in some of my
hygros...only 3 or 4 here and there and they are usually on the new leaf
shoots. Some of the ends of the java fern and crypts are also missing...I
don't know if those are bites.

In the last week I've reduced my feedings to every second day. The other day
I just got rid of my two yoyo loaches because they had successfully
erradicated my tank of snails, grown really big, and started uprooting newly
planted shoots. I traded them in for more otosincluses.

I have heard of clown loaches biting leaves here and there but yoyo
loaches?? Starving ones maybe? I also have an apple snail (Pomacea
Bridgesii)...maybe the culpirt? The snail usually just cleans algae off the
plants, driftwood, and glass and eats dead and rotting plant
material...but...with the feeding cut in half would he start nipping at the
live plants?

Tank community: 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 2 bronze corys, 5 otocinclus, 2 SAE,
1 Pomacea bridgesii snail.

Thanks alot for anyone contributing to solving my mystery!!

Dave Picklyk

Old 29-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Dick

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:04:12 GMT, "Dave M. Picklyk"
wrote:

[...]

I had a case of leaf nipping in one tank. It turned out to be a
"Mystery" snail or is it "Magic" snail. It was large. I received it
with two others in a plant shipment. I had put each in separate tanks
fully expecting them to not last with my Clown Loaches. They did
survive for many months, but only this one chomped on leafs. I
watched and swear I could "hear" the beggar.

dick