Old 07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Joe Sanders

Default Just set up an automated CO2 system, a couple questions...

I finally decided that Flourish Excel wasn't doing the best job at
maintaining my plants. No DIY setup here, I went all out and set up a
CO2 reactor, a tank w/ solenoid, and a pH computer to shut off the CO2
if it drops below 7.00.

Plants range from Giant Valis, Cambomba, Hornwort, Moneywort,
Anacharis, and Crypts. Fish are fancy goldfish and some bushynosed &
rubbernosed plecos. Tank size is a 42 gallon hexagon.

-- I currently have CO2 going at about 2 bubbles per second. Is that
about right?

-- I have the system set to shut off if pH drops below 7.0. I
typically try to buffer to around 7.4. Does that sound like I'm doing
the right thing?

-- Finally, I have the system set up on a timer so that it shuts off
completely at night when the lights go out. (I have the lighting set
up on a timer as well.) It's my understanding that plants don't use
CO2 at night. Again, does that sound right?

I appreciate any help!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:04 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| I finally decided that Flourish Excel wasn't doing the best job at
|| maintaining my plants. No DIY setup here, I went all out and set up a
|| CO2 reactor, a tank w/ solenoid, and a pH computer to shut off the
|| CO2 if it drops below 7.00.

Cool... but realize that the pH will swing slightly when photosynthesis
takes place at night, when the lights are off... it's no problem at all, the
fish can handle the .5 swing that you'll encounter...

|| Plants range from Giant Valis, Cambomba, Hornwort, Moneywort,
|| Anacharis, and Crypts. Fish are fancy goldfish and some bushynosed &
|| rubbernosed plecos. Tank size is a 42 gallon hexagon.
|| -- I currently have CO2 going at about 2 bubbles per second. Is that
|| about right?

That's no biggie. Keep tabs on your water first. Manage a pH of X, adding
CO2 to drop it, and baking soda to raise it. Baking soda is used as a
buffer for kH and will allow your pH to be managed better. In my case, 29g,
65wPCF lighting, CO2 drops my 7.0water to 6.6 or so, and I add baking soda
to keep it buffered to 7.0... preventing a pH crash when buffer runs out..

|| -- I have the system set to shut off if pH drops below 7.0. I
|| typically try to buffer to around 7.4. Does that sound like I'm doing
|| the right thing?

It sounds like you've done some homework, and I don't want to point you in a
direction for no reason... I'm kind of a hands off guy, I'd like to set it
and forget it. I was told that you can run your CO2 all the time, maintain
a kH of 2-4 and manage your pH to see how much CO2 is dissolved in the
water... Here's the most wonderful link to calculate that.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

|| -- Finally, I have the system set up on a timer so that it shuts off
|| completely at night when the lights go out. (I have the lighting set
|| up on a timer as well.) It's my understanding that plants don't use
|| CO2 at night. Again, does that sound right?
|| I appreciate any help!

The only thing I can tell you now, is, you're certainly on the right
track... First, stop listening to too much of what the LFS says... they're
good people, but they're trying to sell you things... and that's ok, they'll
be your first line of defense... but take heed, they'll often lead you down
a certain isle and say, this bottle has exactly what you're looking for...
and blah blah blah.... You'll end up coming here, asking a question and
getting 20 answers, that better fit your scenario, and more likely, save you
time, money and effort...

Now... PICS dangit!!! if you haven't already, add alt.binaries.aquaria to
your news reader, take some pics, and start posting... The binaries group
has had a big problem of warez posters, but the more 'we' post in it, the
less they can be seen....

--
| RedForeman ©® fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!!
| ==========================
| 2003 TRX450ES
| 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
| '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
| ==========================
| ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
|| ((((º`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ((((º ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ((((º
| for any questions you may have....
is that better??

Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM

Joe Sanders wrote:

I finally decided that Flourish Excel wasn't doing the best job at
maintaining my plants. No DIY setup here, I went all out and set up a
CO2 reactor, a tank w/ solenoid, and a pH computer to shut off the CO2
if it drops below 7.00.

Good for you! I also have an automated system. I also use Flourish
Excel, and I think Seachem is stretching it when they say you can use
it in place of CO2. It definitely is good to add to a planted tank
with CO2, but it just doesn't work the same when used by itself.

When you say "CO2 reactor" I am guessing you probably have an Aqua
Medic Reactor 1000. It's an OK unit, but I don't like how easily the
top and bottom screw off, and also that they don't provide you with
hose tails for larger hoses. I use 16/22 hose, so I use hose clamps to
secure the hose onto the reactor.

I hope you didn't get a Pinpoint pH Controller, those things are junk.
They have to be manually set using those little screw-knobs, and they
are SO SENSATIVE, it's next to impossible to get it just right. And
the way you set it to shut off is the most convoluted goofy setup I've
ever seen... it takes a ton of trial and error and also dealing with
the sensitive knobs **just to set it**. I got rid of mine and got an
Aqua Medic pH controller.

American Marine is supposed to be coming out with a better pH
Controller later on, but I've yet to know any details (when, how it
works, if it's better, etc.)

Plants range from Giant Valis, Cambomba, Hornwort, Moneywort,
Anacharis, and Crypts. Fish are fancy goldfish and some bushynosed &
rubbernosed plecos. Tank size is a 42 gallon hexagon.

Sounds like a nice setup. Be prepared to trim your Valis every couple
days, that stuff grows like crazy. In the wild it gets 6-8 feet tall.
Same with Hornwort.

-- I currently have CO2 going at about 2 bubbles per second. Is that
about right?

Some manuals recommend started extremely low, like one bubble every 4
seconds. However, for a larger tank like yours, 2 bubbles per second
sounds just fine. That's about what I do.

-- I have the system set to shut off if pH drops below 7.0. I
typically try to buffer to around 7.4. Does that sound like I'm doing
the right thing?

It's all a matter of preference. For whatever fish you are keeping,
just set the computer to switch off the CO2 when pH falls to the
lowest comfortable tolerance level for your fish. For goldfish and
plecos, 7.0/7.4 is great.

-- Finally, I have the system set up on a timer so that it shuts off
completely at night when the lights go out. (I have the lighting set
up on a timer as well.) It's my understanding that plants don't use
CO2 at night. Again, does that sound right?

Here's where I would say you should NOT use the timer, and instead run
your CO2 24/7. Your pH computer will shut down the injection if the pH
falls too low. If you are buffering your water (I use Seachem Alkaline
Buffer), adding CO2 will factor in to that balance, and if you shut it
off at night, the CO2 will dissipate and your pH will rise, I've seen
it go above 8.5 for some people. Additionally, your CO2 will have to
build back up in your water the next morning. Running 24/7 keeps your
setup more balanced and consistent.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Happy'Cam'per

MIDPOSTED...

"Joe Sanders" wrote in message
I finally decided that Flourish Excel wasn't doing the best job at
maintaining my plants. No DIY setup here, I went all out and set up a
CO2 reactor, a tank w/ solenoid, and a pH computer to shut off the CO2
if it drops below 7.00.
-- I currently have CO2 going at about 2 bubbles per second. Is that
about right?
-- I have the system set to shut off if pH drops below 7.0. I
typically try to buffer to around 7.4. Does that sound like I'm doing
the right thing?

Hey Joe (Jimi Hendrix
You need to buy yourself a KH test kit. Test your KH and then test your ph.
Use the co2 chart (Red posted that for you in another reply) to work out how
much co2 you have in solution. You are aiming for about 25-30ppm co2 all day
long. Don't switch your co2 off at night, keep it running, the fish will be
fine. If you switch off at night your plants will have no co2 for
synthesizing when the lights come on in the morning, this will keep BBA at
bay

-- Finally, I have the system set up on a timer so that it shuts off
completely at night when the lights go out. (I have the lighting set
up on a timer as well.) It's my understanding that plants don't use
CO2 at night. Again, does that sound right?

They won't use it at night, but in the morning they'll need it!

Regards
Cameron
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**