Old 13-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Engine21

Default Eco-Complete

I'm setting up a 55 gallon freshwater tank that will be moderately planted. I
have flourite in my 75 gallon and it seems to work pretty good with the CO2
injection.
Does anyone have experience with Eco-Complete substrate (CaribeSea)?
Old 13-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Dances With Ferrets

After hashing around what mix would be optimum for plants.... I
decided on a 50/50 mix of eco-complete and flourite (with a thin layer
of finely-crushed untreated lava stone in the lowest layer of the
gravel bed). The eco-complete has a much finer particle size than the
flourite, so it tends to settle below the surface of the gravel bed,
leaving the flourite on top. In the long run, it may or may not make
a difference in plant growth.... the eco-complete is nice-looking on
it's own, but I wanted the look of the flourite. My reason for mixing
is the different nutrient complexes contained within these substrates
(the shotgun approach to plant nutrition) I guess it more depends on
what look you'd prefer... the dramatic, dark contrast of the
eco-complete, or the rich tones of flourite. Either product you use
whether alone or in conjunction with each other will no-doubt yield
good results with your plants.
Old 14-07-2004, 01:29 PM

Everyone I know who has tried it got black brush algae infestations in
their tanks (even people who have never had it).

I ignored them and used it anyway. After about the 5th week, I saw the
beginnings of black brush algae on my plants.

I would say don't use it.

Old 14-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Cris

Well, now you know of someone who hasn't had that problem.
Eco-Complete is working well for me.

Cris

Old 15-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Giancarlo Podio

You can't blame BBA on your substrate, like Tom mentioned it's
probably CO2 related. Sure it has nutrients in it but with CO2 and
correct fertilization there is no reason why that should cause any
problems. Perhaps for a non CO2 tank a more inert substrate such as
flourite may be an easier choice...

Personally, I like the look of eco-complete, however having used both
I still prefer Flourite for the following reasons:

1. Flourite is heavier therefore it is easier to plant in and holds
stems better until they are rooted.

2. Roots seem to grip the eco-complete better than flourite, making
the task of pulling out rooted plants messier compared to Flourite.

3. It raises hardness.

4. Vacuming Flourite is easier than eco-complete due to the weight
difference.

As you can see all mechanical related reasons besides the hardness
issue. As far as plant growth goes, eco-complete on it's own is
growing plants very well for me while Flourite being inert requires
additional substrate fertilization to get the same results (that is if
your fertilization regeim also relies on substrate fertilization).
Personally I prefer to fertilize the substrate myself as I have more
control over it and I can keep the nutrients down deep where they
won't be released into the water. Having said all that, if you like
the look of eco-complete, you certainly won't have problems growing
plants in it, nor any algae issues due to the substrate itself. Both
of these substrates are very good IMO.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 16-07-2004, 06:12 PM

Perhaps for a non CO2 tank a more inert substrate such as
flourite may be an easier choice...

No, not IME or IMO with non CO2.
Flourite is excellent for non CO2 tanks.
I have never had any algae related issues with Onyx, Eco Complete, or
Flourite(6 years now).

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 16-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Happy'Cam'per

" wrote in message
m...

Flourite(6 years now).

Sheesh, 6 years ???!!!
Here in South Africa there are NO, none, zero, zilch, nada, f/a...substrates
for planted tanks. Tom, if you know any dealers personally tell them the
market in South Africa is wide open. A great business oportunity for sure, I
for one would be most chuffed It's very depressing reading about all this
fancy stuff you know you won't be seeing in a while.

Flourite is a Seachem product is it not? How much does a bag/packet of
flourite weigh? Are there different sized packages? How much of this stuff
would I need for a 3 foot tank? I'm seriously thinking of having some
shipped over!!!!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 16-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Actually I was referring to eco-complete. I haven't tried eco-complete
in a low light tank yet, but I've seen how it can effect water
hardness so I'm not sure if anything else is released into the water
that I wouldn't want to be there in a low light tank. Flourite is
working great for me in low light, has been for years, same as onyx
sand but I haven't used it in a while now. I guess if hardness is the
only effect eco-complete has on the water column then it should be
fine, but at the rate I do water changes in my low light tanks, I'd be
a little concerned about hardness constantly going up. Have you had
the same experience with eco-complete? Perhaps it will taper off
gradually, I've only been using eco-complete for around 4 months now.

Regards
Giancarlo Podio