Old 16-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Greg G.

Default T-12 Reflector Design - FREE PLAN

Greetings,

For those who might be interest in building their own reflectors, I am
offering this design based on a T-12 (1.5") fluorescent bulb.

Note that the overall width is 5.25" - something to keep in mind when
stuffing 6 tubes into a hood. ;-) This width is optimum for this
tube diameter, any smaller compromises the efficiency by increasing
restrike.

Distance of the tube from the reflector is also fairly critical.

This reflector will work with my personal favorite - T-8 bulbs - as
well, but I will submit an optimized design later on that is narrower
in width and optimized for this smaller tube diameter. (1")

Note that the plan grid is minor 1/8" and major 1". This should make
it easy to replicate at home.

Flat pure white paint is a good choice for a final coating, although
mirror polished aluminum is slightly better.

Plan: (39kb)
http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/T-12Reflector.jpg

Short Video of photon reflection: (1200kb)
http://www.thevideodoc.com/media/T-12Reflector.mpg

Good Luck,
Greg

Greg G.
Old 16-07-2004, 02:06 AM
Greg G.

Greetings,

For those who might be interest in building their own reflectors, I am
offering this design based on a T-12 (1.5") fluorescent bulb.

Also, note that you can decrease the off-angle light emitted by the
sides of the bulbs and striking the water surface by extending the
length of the side wings slightly. ~ 1/4" - 1/2".

This design was based on a particular hood depth that prohibited the
longer length from being implemented.

Greg

Greg G.
Old 16-07-2004, 07:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| Plan: (39kb)
|| http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/T-12Reflector.jpg
|| Short Video of photon reflection: (1200kb)
|| http://www.thevideodoc.com/media/T-12Reflector.mpg
|| Good Luck,
|| Greg
|| Greg G.

I saw something like this on aquabotanic, the bulb was more centered, and
they revised it to look more like this one...

one guy had a bender, and went and made a few... Used some mirrored aluminum
for it, and if I don't say myself, would love to get my little hands on some
of that material....

--

www.gmail.com

Old 17-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Greg G.

RedForeman ©® said:

|| Plan: (39kb)
|| http://www.thevideodoc.com/images/T-12Reflector.jpg
|| Short Video of photon reflection: (1200kb)
|| http://www.thevideodoc.com/media/T-12Reflector.mpg
|| Good Luck,
|| Greg G.

I saw something like this on aquabotanic, the bulb was more centered, and
they revised it to look more like this one...

one guy had a bender, and went and made a few... Used some mirrored aluminum
for it, and if I don't say myself, would love to get my little hands on some
of that material....

Never seen that site, but I may take a look.

This design was done by me using modeling software with the primary
criteria of maximizing efficiency, while minimizing width and height.

I have two planted tanks (75g and 29g) and am in the process of
redesigning the hoods for maximum efficiency. The 29g used to be a
mini-reef built into a shop counter with 175w of MH lighting, but when
I moved from Florida, I decided it was too expensive to invest in
marine life this time around. When I moved, I got pennies on the
dollar for killer live rock, corals, and other livestock... :-(

I still yearn for a mini-reef tank, but it's too expensive to set-up
one here - the few shops left in town are REALLY expensive.
I guess I could try mail order... The though of a fragile coral or
fish being tossed around by the idiots who deliver packages here is
not a comforting thought... Most of the packages I receive look like
they were drop-kicked across the country.

Greg G.
Old 20-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Brian Moyer

Hi Greg,

I currently have an idle 30 long I'd like to set up as a planted tank.
With the width of your reflector I could only get 2 30W T12s over the
tank. Is this what you have on your 29? Does the added efficiency of
the reflector design make up for the (relatively) low WPG? I'm just
trying to decide between 2 really efficiently reflected bulbs or 3 or
4 that are just crammed in there.

Thanks for your time.

Old 20-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Greg G.

Brian Moyer said:

Hi Greg,

I currently have an idle 30 long I'd like to set up as a planted tank.
With the width of your reflector I could only get 2 30W T12s over the
tank. Is this what you have on your 29? Does the added efficiency of
the reflector design make up for the (relatively) low WPG? I'm just
trying to decide between 2 really efficiently reflected bulbs or 3 or
4 that are just crammed in there.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Brian,

I don't use T-12 bulbs anymore - and only have a few left over from
'the old days'. I use T-8 bulbs exclusively - they are more
efficient, contain less mercury, last longer, require smaller
reflectors, and most are tri-phosphor. It is easy to get REAL
electronic ballasts to match - not some blister packed CL crap.

I don't recall the dimensions of a 30L, so I'm a little unsure of the
width and length.

Unfortunately, a 29Gal tank measures 30.25 x 12.5" - a really bad size
for lighting purposes. American fluorescent bulbs come in nominal
lengths of 24", 36", and 48". You could stagger 24" 20W bulbs, at a
loss of lighting at the sides.

See my later post for a dual T-8 reflector. This was designed for a
29 gal tank using 4 tubes total. I am using 4 x 30" nominal (29.75")
T-8 25W tubes. These are German and only available from Zoo-Med.
Big Al's has the Freshwater types on sale right now. I am driving
them with a GE UltraMAX electronic ballast.

Ballast x1 - $27.00 - GE UltraMAX
Bulbs x2 - $4.99 - Tropic Sun 30"
Bulbs x2 - $7.99 - Flora Sun 30"

Total Cost - $52.96

I generally avoid 'aquarium bulbs" because of the ridiculous cost, but
made an exception this time, as they aren't too badly priced. I just
hope they don't discontinue the 30" models next month. :-|

Greg G.
Old 20-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Greg G.

Brian Moyer said:

Hi Greg,

I currently have an idle 30 long I'd like to set up as a planted tank.
With the width of your reflector I could only get 2 30W T12s over the
tank. Is this what you have on your 29? Does the added efficiency of
the reflector design make up for the (relatively) low WPG? I'm just
trying to decide between 2 really efficiently reflected bulbs or 3 or
4 that are just crammed in there.

Thanks for your time.

I forgot to mention, that compared to no reflector - or a poorly
designed commercial reflector - you can effectively double the
*useful* output of a tube, thus reducing the bulb count by half.
Without a good reflector, most of the light from the sides and top of
a bulb is lost through restrike and converted into heat.

2 wpg of full length light (36" 30w x 2) and a good reflector on a 30G
tank would probably grow most plants - just not Hairgrass and Marble
Queen Swords. From my experience, chain swords might have trouble
planted more than 12" deep.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Old 24-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Steen Suder, privat

Greg G. wrote:
Greetings,

For those who might be interest in building their own reflectors, I am
offering this design based on a T-12 (1.5") fluorescent bulb.

Can You be so nice as to share some information about the design,
specially in regard to the used software?

SNIP

--
Steen Suder
Prøv at forestille dig, at du er en anden, og læs så din artikel igennem