Old 16-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Sam

Default Plant water temp?

I have a 30 g long tank that has 1-2 wpg light and a yeast bottle that
feeds into the macerator of the waterfall filter. I have one large angel and
one ditch minnow. See image under same subject at
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens (if it ever shows up).

I also have about 30 small plants that, while they are growing, they are
growing slowly. By that I mean one leaf every 6-12 months. I suspect it may
be a combination of lights and temp. My A/C keeps the tank at about 78f.

Do I need a heater?

--
Sam-I-Am
Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you

Old 16-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Charles

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:17:25 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

I have a 30 g long tank that has 1-2 wpg light and a yeast bottle that
feeds into the macerator of the waterfall filter. I have one large angel and
one ditch minnow. See image under same subject at
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens (if it ever shows up).

I also have about 30 small plants that, while they are growing, they are
growing slowly. By that I mean one leaf every 6-12 months. I suspect it may
be a combination of lights and temp. My A/C keeps the tank at about 78f.

Do I need a heater?

That temperature should be fine for the plants. More light, maybe.
two watts per gallon will keep the plants alive, four watts per gallon
should make them flourish. A very low fish load is good for the fish,
but doesn't provide much food for the plants, after you get more light
you could try plant food sold for aquariums.

--

- Charles
-
Old 16-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Sam

Charles intoned :

Do I need a heater?

That temperature should be fine for the plants. More light, maybe.

I was afraid of that. $3 vs $90.....

--
Sam-I-Am
Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.

Old 16-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Charles

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:52:39 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

Charles intoned :

Do I need a heater?

That temperature should be fine for the plants. More light, maybe.

I was afraid of that. $3 vs $90.....

Start cheap. Shop lights from a home store. I don't know where you
are, here we have Home Depot and Lowes, I guess Canadian Tire would
carry similar stuff for Canadians.

Generally they come with two 40W bulbs, for around $20 for the entire
fixture.

They rust fairly badly, but last for a year or two.
--

- Charles
-
Old 16-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Sam

Charles intoned :

Start cheap. Shop lights from a home store.

If I had a 4 ft tank that might work. But I only have 30 inches. I
thought of mounting some lights in back of it or on the sides, but otherwise
it means build or buy a better hood with more room for lights.

Have to lean on the wife for more money in the hobby budget.

--
Sam-I-Am
No cause is so right that one cannot find a fool following it.

Old 16-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Your temperature is fine, perhaps you have slow growing plants? Can
you identify them for us? Also, if you can give us some more
information about your setup it would help. There is also quite a
difference between 1 and 2 WPG.

Giancarlo Podio

Old 16-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Sam

Giancarlo Podio intoned :

Your temperature is fine, perhaps you have slow growing plants? Can
you identify them for us?

Maybe...

...Dwarf Saggitaria...

... er... No... I can't. I used to know all that stuff... I looked
around for a while but can't find my other plants. I have posted a new set
of images on alt.binaries pictures.gardens under "ID Aquarium plants
please?"

Also, if you can give us some more
information about your setup it would help.

Well, just sand and gravel (pea stone?) bare root planted. I took out
the undergravel filter a while ago. The water fall filter sucks through a
standpipe that is just stuck into the gravel, as a food and fry filter for
the pump. I also have about one bubble per second out of the yeast CO2
setup.

There is also quite a
difference between 1 and 2 WPG.

Well... mine is a 1wpg setup, but I keep some more lights shining on it
and there is a large window facing it. So is it some amount more than 1 wgp,
but probably less than 2...

--
Sam-I-Am
If you want to do evil, science provides the most powerful weapons to

Old 17-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Charles

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:06:35 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

Giancarlo Podio intoned :

Your temperature is fine, perhaps you have slow growing plants? Can
you identify them for us?

Maybe...

...Dwarf Saggitaria...

... er... No... I can't. I used to know all that stuff... I looked
around for a while but can't find my other plants. I have posted a new set
of images on alt.binaries pictures.gardens under "ID Aquarium plants
please?"

I just posted a response of sorts there.

Do you get alt.binaries.aquaria?

--

- Charles
-
Old 20-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Craig Brye

Temperature is probably the most under-estimated part of the scheme. All I
hear people talk about is watts per gallon, substrates, etc. Temperature is
often over-looked!

If you want to be half way serious about keeping plants... I would
personally suggest trying to identify the plants you have. I do this with
my tanks, and I then list the optimal temperature for each species. I then
set my temperature for the "middle of the road". I have the luxury of
having my tanks in our finished basement, which is cool (even in the
summer). My temperature stays very constant. I keep my tank at 75 degrees,
which is within the optimal range for all of my plants. Even 78 degrees can
be slightly high for a lot of the plants people seem to keep. There are a
lot of fast growing "easy care" plants that'll simply start to "melt" away
once higher temperatures are reached. I had a 29 gal. tank when I lived in
a trailer. Even with air conditioning, the water temperature would often
hit 82+ degrees. Very hard to keep plants in this situation.

Basically... I wouldn't think you need a heater. Really depends on the
plants you have, their specific temp. range, and whether or not you really
want to obtain optimal growth (which I suspect most people do).

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

om...

Old 27-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Sam

Charles intoned :

I just posted a response of sorts there.

Thanks! I saw that.

Do you get alt.binaries.aquaria?

Yes, I do.

--
Sam-I-Am
It's not all lies - not all of it. That's the age-old dilemma.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Sam

BTW, I went to Lowes, got a $10 18w strip light and bolted it under the lid
of my hood. 5 days later I have new growth all over.

--
Sam-I-Am

good average water temp? Shagster Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 06-06-2005 01:03 PM
Water TEmp Question Ted Ponds 9 13-11-2003 05:32 AM
Water temp question Lee Brouillet Ponds 10 18-05-2003 02:20 AM
water temp for plants *muffin* Ponds 3 17-05-2003 02:44 PM
Water temp question jammer Ponds 5 09-02-2003 03:43 AM