Old 20-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Dave

Default Hagen CO2 plant system

"Ann Viverette" wrote in message
Yes, what do you need to know? I'll guess... first, the bubbles do tend to
stick until a bacterial film develops, it will get better in a day or two.
Second, if you don't see bubbles in a few hours, either the water was too
hot, or, more likely, you need to give the cap an extra 1/4 turn after you
think it is tight. Third, you can make the mix yourself with 1/4 teaspoon
regular yeast (be sure good dates and keep closed in the refrigerator

after
opening) plus 1 teaspoon baking soda. Should last 3 weeks, refill before

the
bubbles stop completely, if you only see two bubbles on the ladder it is
time to refill. Fourth, put the ladder on the side of the tank so you

hardly
notice it, press it on good so not fish sneak behind, level by pressing
against a corner. Do trim the line as short as is reasonable, it helps

flow
rate by reducing line losses. If you have more than 20 gallons use two

sets,
if you have more than 30 gallons... consider a DIY CO2 bottle. Um, what
else... oh, how much sugar... see those vertical braces inside the

canister?
The bottom ones will dissappear when you add the right amount of sugar

(~1/2
cup) then fill with almost warm tap water to the top brace level.

Thankyou SO MUCH for posting this. I wuz using the Hagen packets for the
last year on my 33 gallon planted tank. The bubble ratio is very slow (1
every 20 seconds sometimes and got to a point where after a week there would
be no bubbles at all for 30 seconds up to a minute). I went out and bought
brand new sugar, yeast, and baking soda and used the exact measurments as
per above....there's now TONNS of bubbles flowing (I've never seen this many
bubbles..after only a couple of hours too).

Question - I live in Canada..and it seems Big Als is no longer stocking the
Hagen CO2 system. Any idea where I could get a second one??

Dave - Toronto