GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   "low light" plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/80245-low-light-plants.html)

Paul Wright 26-07-2004 05:02 PM

"low light" plants

Another question folks:

I just bought an assortment of "low light" plants from an aquatic
plant vendor. The order includes:

2 Anubias Barteri Reg

2 Anubias Nana Reg

2 Java Fern

2 Bolbitis Heudelotii

2 Cryptocoryne Blassi

1 Anubias Show

This assortment was labeled as "low light" by the vendor. I want to
add these to a 10 gal. tank with a 15 watt fluorescent bulb that
produces wavelengths of light optimal for plant growth (not sure of
the brand). Are these plants difficult to maintain in these
conditions? Just just wondering what to expect. Many thanks in advance
for your help.

Paul Wright

RedForeman ©® 26-07-2004 06:02 PM

"low light" plants

|| Another question folks:
|| I just bought an assortment of "low light" plants from an aquatic
|| plant vendor. The order includes:
|| 2 Anubias Barteri Reg
|| 2 Anubias Nana Reg
|| 2 Java Fern
|| 2 Bolbitis Heudelotii
|| 2 Cryptocoryne Blassi
|| 1 Anubias Show
|| This assortment was labeled as "low light" by the vendor. I want to
|| add these to a 10 gal. tank with a 15 watt fluorescent bulb that
|| produces wavelengths of light optimal for plant growth (not sure of
|| the brand). Are these plants difficult to maintain in these
|| conditions? Just just wondering what to expect. Many thanks in
|| advance for your help.
|| Paul Wright

You'll be able to maintain the looks, but growth will be slow... Adding
ferts will keep it's color, and help growth, but don't expect anything
'overnight' and it may be longer than 6 months before they stabilize, show
some growth, and multiply... My low light tank, grows small specimens well,
but nothing gets 'big'....

--

www.gmail.com

Ann Viverette 26-07-2004 07:07 PM

"low light" plants

Most of those will do best attached to driftwood or rocks. The anubias may
be planted but only if the rhyzome is about 1/2" above the gravel so you can
sink the roots but not the stem-like part the roots emerge from. The
barteria and "show" may be too large for your tank now or later, so begin
planning a second tank after you get this one under control.
Java fern goes on wood or rock, best if the roots are in higher flow area,
IME. The blobitis I have not grown for I think it will not like my
moderately hard water with high pH. The crypt is a rooted plant and
appreciates root fertilizers typically, but I've not had that particular
one. If your water or light is much different than where it came from it
will rapidly melt away only to return from the root with leaves more suited
to the new situation. So, put it in one place and leave it alone. I don't
know how big that one gets, book says up to 60 cm tall and acid water.

I'd add CO2, particularly if the water is above 7 pH, a Hagen CO2 system is
ideal for that, or if the pH is OK, try Seachem Excel for added Carbon.
After the plants have grown in to your liking, then reduce the CO2 or carbon
or ferts to see if they will maintain with less work and no algae. In any
case, do not add water column fertilizers until the plants seem to need it,
for algae will quickly move in if you add it prematurely.

m...

Paul Wright 27-07-2004 06:36 AM

"low light" plants

Thanks guys for the info. I don't mind if they grow a little slow...just as
long as they don't crash on me. That was my main concern. Thanks. :-)

Paul

Paul Wright

Robert Flory 27-07-2004 06:36 AM

"low light" plants

I'll back up Ann. I have a low light tank (29 gal) with guppies/platys,
with Java Moss, some crypts, Anubias nana. I'd gotten lazy and not
recharged my DIY bottle lately on the little tank. Did it yesterday. In 24
hours I have a much nicer green on the Java moss. It is the only place the
Nanas grow without turning black or where my Java ferns will grow well.
I'll be damned if I can grow either well in my bigger higher light tanks.

bob

[email protected] 27-07-2004 09:03 AM

"low light" plants

(Paul Wright) wrote in message om...
Another question folks:

I just bought an assortment of "low light" plants from an aquatic
plant vendor. The order includes:

2 Anubias Barteri Reg

2 Anubias Nana Reg

2 Java Fern

2 Bolbitis Heudelotii

2 Cryptocoryne Blassi

1 Anubias Show

This assortment was labeled as "low light" by the vendor. I want to
add these to a 10 gal. tank with a 15 watt fluorescent bulb that
produces wavelengths of light optimal for plant growth (not sure of
the brand). Are these plants difficult to maintain in these
conditions? Just just wondering what to expect. Many thanks in advance
for your help.

Paul Wright

I'd consider SeaChem Excel, a Triton bulb/get a small metal reflector,
maybe some SeaChem Equlibrium added at a 1/8 teaspoon weekly.
This will help them grow well at this light level.

You need to have the tank packed with plants, Somehow the list you
gave sounds like too few plants. More Java Ferns or moss etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dick 27-07-2004 01:02 PM

"low light" plants

On 26 Jul 2004 08:00:31 -0700, (Paul Wright) wrote:

Another question folks:

I just bought an assortment of "low light" plants from an aquatic
plant vendor. The order includes:

2 Anubias Barteri Reg

2 Anubias Nana Reg

2 Java Fern

2 Bolbitis Heudelotii

2 Cryptocoryne Blassi

1 Anubias Show

This assortment was labeled as "low light" by the vendor. I want to
add these to a 10 gal. tank with a 15 watt fluorescent bulb that
produces wavelengths of light optimal for plant growth (not sure of
the brand). Are these plants difficult to maintain in these
conditions? Just just wondering what to expect. Many thanks in advance
for your help.

Paul Wright

I have 4 low light tanks. They all have desnse fish populations. I
use no chemicals, but change 20% weekly. Your selections sounds
similar to what I have. You were smarter than me, I didn't know about
"low light" when I started my first tank 18 months ago. Once I got
smarter, I replaced all my plants. Now my tanks are jungles. One of
my anubias in a 10 gallon tank has leaves touching the surface. I
have another plant (don't know the name) that grows on a long stem
with small circular leaves sticking out. It started slowly, but is
now so robust that I have started other places and I have to nip off
pieces from the top as they reach the water surface.

Most fish owners should get low light plants. The tanks generally do
not have enough light to sustain the other plants unless specifically
purchased with special lighting.

dick

Paul Wright 27-07-2004 05:06 PM

"low light" plants

Yeah, I'm definitely going to use Excel and some ferts, Tom. What is a
Triton bulb? Is that a brand of fluorescent bulbs? According to the
vendor website, www.aquaticplantdepot.com, this selection of plants
could be used for a 10 to 20 gal aquarium, but I'll let you know when
the shipment comes in how dense the foliage will be in my tank.

Dick, I know what you mean. I was looking to get a twin tube
fluorescent light strip for my 10 gal, but was then informed by the
pet store owners that there are no 20" twin tube light strips
available. So I guess I have to stick with "low light" with my 10 gal.
Maybe in the future, whenever I have more money available, I'll set up
the 20 gal for higher light plants.

Paul

kev 27-07-2004 07:08 PM

"low light" plants

On 27 Jul 2004, the world was enlightened by Paul Wright's opinion
about...

Dick, I know what you mean. I was looking to get a twin tube
fluorescent light strip for my 10 gal, but was then informed by the
pet store owners that there are no 20" twin tube light strips
available. So I guess I have to stick with "low light" with my 10 gal.
Maybe in the future, whenever I have more money available, I'll set up
the 20 gal for higher light plants.

Paul

Paul, you could try retrofitting your existing lightstrips. AHSupply has
a 2x13W power compact kit that should do the job.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh

Paul Wright 28-07-2004 06:17 AM

"low light" plants

Paul, you could try retrofitting your existing lightstrips. AHSupply has
a 2x13W power compact kit that should do the job.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm

Thanks for the tip, Kev. I'm going to look into that. :-)

Paul Wright

[email protected] 28-07-2004 10:09 AM

"low light" plants

Paul, you could try retrofitting your existing lightstrips. AHSupply has
a 2x13W power compact kit that should do the job.

http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm
kev

To add to that idea, you can use those cheapy 6$ under counter 18"
long FL lights and screw two onto a small thin wood box for a DIY
hood, that will cost about 20$ total.Bulbs are 18" so the inch on each
side is no big deal.

Use one Triton bulb(Drs Foster and Smith, Big Al's on line etc) and
one cool white for nice color and growth.

Regards,
Tom Barr